Mountain View Presbyterian Church
Growing in Christ – Sharing His Light
Job Description for
Director of Family Ministries
Full-time employee with benefits
The goal of the position of Director of Family Ministry is to ensure present and future generations experiences God’s grace through Jesus Christ. Our hope is for our young people and young families to be led on a journey which continually strengthens and deepens their relationship with God. In order to accomplish this most faithfully and effectively, guiding principles include:
- Partnership with Home and Congregation: Since a child’s faith-life is most powerfully influenced by the child’s closest relationships, our congregation works in partnership with the home to create faith-nurturing experiences.
- Cradle to Grave: Since faith formation is a lifelong process, our congregation engages people of our church and community in ministry, which strengthens and deepens their faith from cradle to grave.
Role of the Director of Family Ministries:To assist the Pastor/Head of Staff, in overseeing the ministry of Christian education and development of programs for families,youth, and children on Sundays and throughout the week. This individual will work together with clergy and lay personnel to carry out the mission as a member of the ministry team.
Walking on water and being able to feed thousands with just a few packets of Oreos and Chicken nuggets would allow for an immediate on the spot hire!! If you can do that, then the rest of these responsibilities are a piece of cake!!
- Christian education activities:
- Develop goals and objectives for the Director of Family Ministries at all levels in accordance with the Strategic Plan (Adopted by MVPC in 2014).
- Assess educational needs for all children and youth in setting goals for education and formation. Develop programs and activities to achieve those goals and meet identified needs.
- Oversee, supervise, and develop educational opportunities for children, youth and their families to help them grow in their Christian faith.
- Identify and recommend age-level curriculum resources, in conjunctions with teachers and pastors whether commercially produced or developed by pastoral staff.
- Identify and plan for both ongoing educational programs and short-term one-time educational and/or youth and family fellowship events.
- Recruit, train, and work with the lay teaching volunteers in coaching and strengthening their teaching abilities.
- Develop and maintain Christian Education resources, including books videos/DVDs, and other appropriate materials.
- Plan, oversee, and coordinate special Christian Education projects such as Vacation Bible School, mission trips, summer camps, etc.
- Serve as an ex officio member of the Christian Education Committee.
- Staff supervision and development:
- Oversee, plan, and implement volunteer staff recruitment, training, and development.
- Coordinate with the Vacation Bible School volunteer staff to support them in their goals, objectives, and needs.
- Research, order, and distribute curriculum materials and other educational resources.
- Conduct performance evaluations when appropriate, providing ongoing informal performance feedback, and reporting to the Pastor/Head of Staff regarding ministry activity and performance.
- Recruit, train, supervise, schedule, and evaluate the Nursery Attendant(s).
- Develop and strengthen programs and activities for families, children, and youth.
- Develop and implement an annual calendar of activities and programs that are inclusive and promote relationship development and discipleship appropriate for families, children and youth.
- Develop short and long-term goals and plans for the “Family Ministry.”
- Develop and manage the annual budget and other financial matters for Christian Education in consultation with the Pastor/Head if staff and Christian Education Committee.
Communicate effectively with parents, teachers, volunteers, youth, and children through personal interaction, email, texting and telephone contacts.
- Attend conferences and participate in budgeted educational training events with the approval of the Pastor/Head of Staff and Christian Education Committee to strengthen the knowledge and skill bases in Family Ministry.
- Work regularly with pastoral and lay staff and key volunteer leaders to integrate educational offerings and opportunities into other ministries (i.e., missions, confirmation classes, evangelism, multi-cultural outreach, etc.)
- Schedule and maintain regular designated office hours as approved by the Pastor/Head of Staff, and attend staff meetings and other meetings as requested by the Pastor/Head of Staff.
- The Director of Family Ministry interacts with the Pastor/Head of Staff (crazy, passionate about Jesus, loves to laugh Pastor!),the Christian Education Committee and its Moderator, and with youth, children, and parents. The Director interacts directly with the Church secretaries and other committees as required.
- The Director of Family Ministry is an employee of Mountain View Presbyterian Church (MVPC) and shall be supervised by the Pastor/Head of Staff in conjunction with the Moderator of the Christian Education Committee.
- The Director of Family Ministry shall receive, a performance evaluation after 90 days, but no longer than 120 days. An annual performance review thereafter will be conducted by the Pastor/Head of Staff, and the Moderator of Christian Education, with assistance from the Human Resources Committee Moderator.
- Other position considerations:
- Demonstrates a dynamic personal relationship to Jesus Christ through prayer, worship, service and Bible study.
- Ability to enthusiastically share the Christian faith with others.
- Is consistently maturing in faith and exhibits an understanding of service.
- Has broad working knowledge of church education and ministry for, to, and with children, youth, young adults, and adults.
- Bachelor Degree, with a desire to pursue further education and training is preferred.
- Is willing to receive coaching, outside training, and on the job training.
- Relates well with children, youth, parents, adults, and congregational leaders.
- Demonstrates organizational skills and volunteers and activities.
- Basic computer skills
- Successful completion of a background check and drug testing,
- In addition to the duties and responsibilities outlined in this Job Description, the Director of Family Ministry will comply with the personnel policies and procedures as set forth in the Personnel Policies & Procedures Manual of Mountain View Presbyterian Church.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
CHILDREN’S MINISTRY CAMPUS DIRECTORNew Hope Community Church
- Cambridge, Minnesota
- December 3
Elementary Program LeaderCornerstone Fellowship
- Livermore, California
- December 2
Assiant to Children/Student PastorPeace UMC
- Pickerington, Ohio
- December 1
Director of Children's MinistryWalnut Street UMC
- Chillicothe, Ohio
- December 1
Church Planter in Central NebraskaInFaith
- central, Nebraska
- December 1