DIRECTOR OF WOMEN’S MINISTRIES - WEST SHORE EVANGELICAL FREE CHURCH
From its humble beginning 40 years ago, to a thriving church of 2,500 people today, West Shore Evangelical Free Church remains committed to impacting the central Pennsylvania city of Mechanicsburg and its surrounding communities with truth and love. Known
for its strong commitment to family, the church is truly multi-generational. Building on the rich heritage of its past, West Shore is currently experiencing significant growth under the leadership of its Senior Pastor, a young leader, Trent Thompson. His
dynamic, practical Bible teaching, and genuine love for people is connecting with people of all ages.
From the pulpit to all venues for training and service, a high value is placed on knowing God’s Word and allowing the gospel to shape lives inside and out. There is passion for truth as they look to see God cultivate lives of deep meaning and purpose in
people from all walks of life.
West Shore is a unique blend of young families, retirees and everything in between. The high quality children’s and youth ministries bring a significant impact to the church, and are deliberately focused on equipping parents and families to raise young
people who love the Lord with all their hearts. In addition, the church is seeing a growing percentage of attendees who do not have an established faith. These folks are seeking an open and welcoming community where they can find answers to their faith questions.
Located on 92 acres, the sprawling West Shore campus contains a 1500-seat worship center, full-size gymnasium, multiple classrooms and community spaces, as well as outdoor walking paths and sports fields.
One of the strengths of the church is a highly trusted and strategic staff, most of who have been at the church for more than three years. Executive Pastor, John Nesbitt and Pastor Trent lead this team together as they cultivate a collaborative, creative,
trusting and fun environment.
Under previous leadership, West Shore has transitioned in its worship style from traditional to blended, and, more recently, to contemporary/modern, with elements that honor all generations. With the arrival of our new worship pastor, George Romanacce,
the church is now poised and ready to build on this heritage and take the worship ministry to the next level.
Under the dynamic leadership of Nancy Makowski for over 20 years, the Women’s Ministry has steadily grown to be one of the most fully developed and valued ministries of the church. One of the most effective components of this ministry is the variety of Bible
studies offered on Tuesday morning and evenings, which attract hundreds of women each semester. Another exciting ministry is MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers). MOPS has experienced significant growth and become a catalyst for launching other area groups. Additional
ministries include active mentoring, missions, ministry training and annual events such as: a retreat, a spring outreach event and IF Gatherings.
As Nancy transitions into retirement to spend more time with family and grandchildren, the church is looking for a new leader for the Women’s Ministry who will build on the strong foundation of the past. The ideal candidate will be spiritually mature, relate
effectively with all types and ages of people, and lead well with vision and strategic insight. In addition, she will be someone who resonates with the values and vision of the church, who is willing to innovatively adjust the current structures of ministry
as needed to respond effectively to the challenges of today and the opportunities of tomorrow.
West Shore is a church that is constantly looking to the future. It is intentional in taking the gospel to each new generation in a language they will hear and understand. The church is passionate about connecting young adults, men, women and families
to Jesus and each other.
Location / Demographic
Mechanicsburg is in the heart of Central Pennsylvania in the Cumberland Valley. It is 14 miles west of Harrisburg and sits between the cities of Hershey and Gettysburg. It is a family-friendly community with great schools and affordable housing (average
home prices in the 200K-250K range). With four distinct seasons each year, residents enjoy the best of outdoor recreation and local attractions. While the community offers the comforts of a mid-size city, it is only a few hours from the major metropolitan
areas of D.C., Philadelphia, Baltimore, and New York. Central Pennsylvania offers the rich heritage of the northeast while sharing the friendliness and authenticity of the mid-west.
West Shore is a congregationally-governed, elder-ruled, and staff-led church. They are affiliated with The Evangelical Free Church of America (www.efca.org) and embrace the EFCA’s Statement of Faith. It is a place where collaboration is valued, creativity
is encouraged, and leadership is recognized. The unique combination of a young, highly-skilled, and relational senior pastor, paired with a supportive executive pastor provides an environment where current and future staff can thrive.
Challenge and Opportunity
West Shore is a healthy church built on a strong heritage. With the addition of the new senior pastor and the subsequent growth these last two years, it is looking to build the team that will lead the church into the future. West Shore’s next Director of
Women’s Ministries will have the opportunity to love and support the church family in this endeavor.
To find out more about West Shore Evangelical Free Church, please take time to peruse the church website at www.westshorefree.com to learn more about its doctrinal beliefs, vision, and values and the many other ministries of the church.
If, after a thorough look at this information, you sense that this would be a good fit for you, please send your resume to: Lauren Allen, Ministry Assistant email@example.com 717-620-2330 x105.
At least 30 hrs/wk up to full-time staff position: Director of Women’s Ministries
Capabilities and Characteristics:
- Genuine walk with Christ including spiritual depth and commitment to making disciples
- Must be a woman of mature Christian character, sound in faith and growing in leadership skills
- A clear call to and love for the local church with a philosophical alignment with WSEFC’s mission, vision and values
- Must be in agreement with the EFCA statement of faith, and be willing to abide by the constitution and bylaws of West Shore EFC
- Must exhibit a desire to encourage, empower, and equip women to use their unique gifts to minister to the Body of Christ and to reach out to non-believers
- Must have a vision and a heart for Women’s Ministry, as well as the ability to administer and oversee various discipleship programs for women at West Shore EFC
- A good teammate and team builder; servant-hearted and flexible
- Be an effective leader who initiates consistently and innovates well
- Hard worker (not a minimalist)
Relates Closely With:
- Train Pastor
- Executive Pastor & Church Administrator
- Other West Shore Staff
- Provides direct oversight of: Women’s Ministry Coordinator and administrative assistant
- Love Jesus and people well
- Live a healthy, balanced lifestyle that honors God, family and others
- Continually develop gifts and knowledge through training, networking and personal development
- Communicate with key people in a timely manner
- Maintain healthy team relationships
- Oversee all women’s programs-providing vision for new ministries and outreach, along with evaluating existing ministries/programs. These programs include, but are not limited to, weekly Bible study classes, bi-monthly MOPS program, a yearly retreat for
the women of the church, missions, and an annual major outreach event along with smaller outreach events to be held during the year.
- Disciple and mentor women to become mature disciples of Jesus Christ
- Find and develop new leaders on a continual basis who will be able to accomplish the work of ministry
- Give direction to and personally shepherd the Women’s Ministry Council and other ministry leaders on their leadership teams
- Identify and evaluate prospective teachers/mentors for Women’s Ministry and organize ongoing training/growth opportunities for these teachers and leaders
- Attend Ministerial Staff Meetings to represent women’s ministry and support churchwide vision and direction, as well as report back to the Women’s Council on non-confidential issues. Participate in churchwide endeavors as part of the ministerial team.
- Build relationships and cooperate with other ministries in order to facilitate joint ventures when appropriate
- Network with other churches and community/organizational groups in order to serve the community, promote ministry growth, and benefit from the give and take of new ministry ideas
- Provide counseling and referral services for women of the church. Coordinate with other WSEFC groups/ministries the need for any hospital visits or compassionate services needed for women in our body.
- Education: Bachelor degree preferred, with biblical and theological training a strong positive
- 3+ years of demonstrated ministry experience in a large church setting (5+ years preferred)
Compensation Package: Total compensation negotiable based on experience and education.