First Presbyterian Church of Eureka
819 15th Street
Eureka, CA 95501
Pastor: Dan Price, Ph. D
Administrative Assistant: Marie Connell
Office Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (707) 443-4897
Children and Youth Director Position
Children and Youth Director Job Description:
The First Presbyterian Church of Eureka is seeking a full-time (40 hours per week) “Children and Youth Director” (CYD). Primary responsibility is for the development and implementation of all youth programs and activities for children from preschool to high
school. Must be able to effectively lead children and youth volunteers and develop a strong Children and Youth Ministries (CYM) leadership team. The CYD is employed by the Church Council (Board of Ruling Elders), and will be accountable to the Pastor along
with the CYM Chair and the Council. This person will be evaluated by the Personnel Committee and Pastor on a regular basis.
Primary responsibilities include:
- WOW (What’s On Wednesdays?!) – Coordination of volunteers to run the Wednesday “WOW” evening program with Pastor and volunteers. WOW programming for the children varies from nursery age through 8thgrades and coincides with adult
programs to build fellowship and promote spiritual growth for all ages.
2. Sunday School – Coordination of volunteers to run the weekly Sunday School program during worship services (especially the early service) for nursery age through 6th grade that provides
spiritual growth, understanding of the Bible and development of Christian values.
- Develop and Sustain Senior High Program – This program for grades 9-12 currently meets Thursday nights and is called “The Breaking Point.”
- Communication - Communicate regularly with the Pastor regarding Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday programs for children and youth. Communication by attendance at staff meetings, phone calls, e-mails, text messages, is expected with the numerous
volunteers who work in the Nursery, Sunday School, WOW program and the Youth group (The Breaking Point).
- Special Programs & Events – Development and planning of special children’s events during the year including holiday programs at Christmas and Easter.
- Vacation Bible School – Lead the VBS committee in coordinating this one-week annual event which usually occurs during August.
- Volunteer Coordination – Nurture, train and equip a network of volunteer lay support for the children and youth ministries grades pre-K thru 12.
- Provide Christian Camping – Help to provide a summer Christian camp experience at one of our local Camps for the children and youth in cooperation with CYM chair, Betty Chinn Center and Pastor.
- Coordinate our Homestay Cultural Exchange Program - A Christian exchange program with Keisen High School in Tokyo, Japan.
Specific duties include:
- Finding and training volunteers to do the work of the church, specifically in the areas of children and youth.
- Teaching children the Bible within our children and youth programs (during school year; and summer as requested or needed). Training and equipping lay teachers to do the same.
- Attend the CYM monthly meeting, reporting to the CYM committee and chairperson.
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings.
- Regular communication with secretary regarding schedules and programs for children and youth events.
- Encouraging creative ideas to implement worship attendance for children and youth.
- Periodic evaluation of programs, curriculum, resources and lay volunteers with CYM Committee, and Pastor (as requested).
- Coordinate with CYM Chair to develop annual budget for children and youth ministries.
- Possess a sincere God-given desire to bring young people to Christ and nurture children and youth in the faith.
- Possess strong organization and leadership skills to work with and organize a number of lay leaders.
- Experience working with children and youth in a Christian setting.
- Meet standard employment qualifications for working with children, including medical exam, proof of U.S. citizenship, background check, clean fingerprint live-scan and solid character references.
- Music and drama skills would be a bonus.
Compensation: This is a full-time position (c. 40 hours per week) with starting salary of $34,000 per year.