Reports to:Pastor in Charge
Directly Supervises:Nursery Coordinator; Children and Family Ministry Team
The Director of Children and Family Ministry leads Spring Creek in its ministry with children (birth through 5th grade) and their families. The ministry will enable children and their families to grow in an ever-deepening relationship with God
through each ministry area: worship, community, intentional spiritual growth, and committed service.
- Lead and oversee the congregation in its ministry with children and their families.
- Oversee ministry of Christian education/spiritual formation for children, giving particular emphasis to Children’s Sunday School.
- Build, organize, and disciple a team of adult and youth volunteers.
- Develop an organizational structure that supports ministry for the congregation’s next phase of growth.
- Plan and oversee special events, such as Vacation Bible School, and Christmas and Easter programs, and ministries involving children and their families.
- Select curriculum for all children’s classes, including Sunday School, VBS, and weekday ministries.
- Encourage children and their families to participate in the full life and ministry of Spring Creek.
- Plan and organize for children participating in and leading of worship.
- Serve as an advocate for children within the full life and ministry of Spring Creek.
- Lead congregation (by teaching and example) in ministry with children beyond the local church.
- Ensure that all ministries with children are safe and abide by Spring Creek’s Child/Youth Protection Policy.
- Co-lead transition of children in 5th grade into Youth ministry.
- Participate in staff meetings.
- Work collaboratively with staff and members to support ministry of Spring Creek.
- Develop and manage budget for children and family ministry in cooperation with pastors and elected leaders.
- Work with Trustees to ensure that all buildings and playground are safe for children.
- Mature Christian faith
- Passion and vision for ministry to help children and their families grow in faith and serve God.
- Experience building, organizing, and discipling ministry teams.
- Strong knowledge of and commitment to teach the Christian faith in the United Methodist tradition.
- Ability to share the Christian faith with children and their families.
- Appreciation for different learning styles and educational methods.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of two (2) years experience leading children’s ministry in a church setting.
- Seminary degree or credentials in religious education.
- Ability to move freely about worship and education spaces.
- Ability to speak with children and their families.
- Team Player: Works with other staff to further the ministry of Spring Creek. Encourages others, supports their work, finds creative opportunities to work together, and resolves conflict in a constructive manner.
- Team Building and Leadership: Sees children’s ministry as a ministry of the whole congregation. Is a good judge of gifts necessary for children and family ministry. Develops and trains a team of committed adults and youth. Encourages
the congregation to welcome and nurture children.
- Ministry Ownership: Demonstrates understanding and full support of Children and Family Ministry and its role in the life of Spring Creek. Assumes responsibility for all aspects of children’s ministry.
- Interpersonal: Demonstrates the ability to work with and lead others. Actively listens to others, accepts criticism, and addresses in a positive manner. Encourages others and holds them accountable. Recognizes and respects variety of
- Initiative: See opportunities to strengthen existing ministries and create new ones. Obtains appropriate guidance, casts a vision, and implements changes.
- Spiritual Maturity: Demonstrates a commitment to grow in an ever-deepening relationship with God through worship, community, intentional spiritual growth and committed service.