FIRST EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH
Orange Grove, TX
Youth Leader Job Description
The purpose of this position description is to define the qualifications, responsibilities
and expectations of the Youth Leader at First Evangelical Lutheran Church – Orange Grove. This document should be updated no less than annually to keep it aligned with the mission, vision, values and goals of the church. The church’s Pastor and council youth
chair are responsible for maintaining this document and for requesting input from the church leadership, youth and their parents.
The youth leader shall:
- Immediately become an active member of First Evangelical Lutheran Church – Orange Grove.
- Everything involved with this position should be in keeping with The Great Commission. Matthew 28:16-20
- Must be a believer with a maturing relationship with Christ, and show a faithful pursuit of leadership characteristics as listed in 1Tim.3. A thorough knowledge of the Bible is essential.
- Have a passion for working with youth grades 3-12 in a Christian environment, and feel led by God’s calling to serve in this area.
- Be able to effectively “connect” with the youth on an interpersonal level and also to effectively communicate with and motivate parents to take an active roll in the FELC-OG youth program.
- Be willing to attend training classes or seminars that may better equip the Youth Leader for service.
- Be a role model for the youth, leading a life consistent with that of a disciple of Christ.
- Have a desire and ability to lead the youth in praise and worship music, either personally or through other resources.
- Develop a new and exciting youth program for FELC-OG that focuses on creating Christ like youth, inviting in new youth, and to ensure that the overall mission of the youth ministry of FELC-OG is carried out in every possible way.
- Meet regularly with and utilize volunteer youth leaders.
- Help the youth to develop and enhance their personal relationships with Christ and with each other.
- Leading the youth to develop a Christian world view and to recognize the influence that secular culture has on their lives.
- Equipping and leading the youth to reach out to other youth who are unchurched.
- Leading the Luther League ministry (youth group) for youth ages elementary, middle and high school and overseeing the Sunday school program.
- Preparing measureable objectives, goals and strategies for the youth program
- Planning and coordinating special events, service projects, fund raisers and other activities for youth throughout the year. The Youth Leader is charged with recruiting help for these activities as needed.
- Reporting monthly to the church council, including a written summary of activities from the previous month, upcoming plans for future months and any issues that need to be resolved.