YOUTH PASTOR – Job Description
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Qualifications and Position Requirements:
1. One who exhibits a personal and growing relationship with God, a teachable spirit, mentally flexible to all situations and a healthy family life.
2. One who possesses experience in senior high or middle school youth ministry, basic administrative skills, and a personal spiritual life congruent with biblical mandates for leaders (1 Timothy 3:17).
3. One who is capable of creating and executing a long-term vision for youth ministry. We are looking for a commitment of years (5+), not months.
4. One who is gifted and is called to youth ministry, loves young people, and has a passion for evangelism and outreach, both personally and at the ministry level.
5. An engaging teacher, with a strong biblical and theological background who is in agreement with CGA Statement of Faith
6. A self-motivated leader, capable of imparting vision for ministry, possessing relational skills with students, parents, and staff.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
At present, the following ministries are involved: children, teenagers, and young adults/college age. Ministries shall be age-defined and involve various purposes within each age-group, i.e. outreach, worship, fellowship, discipleship and ministry.
Lead and organize effective youth programs implementing fellowship, worship, biblical teaching, discipleship, and evangelism, as well as ministry and mission opportunities.
Recruit, train and shepherd volunteer youth staff with diverse gifts and personalities.
Provide counseling and spiritual direction to youth on an individual basis. Any counseling with a member of the opposite sex must include a female leader.
Maintain contact with students and parents, keeping them informed of ongoing activities. Keep parents updated on ministry strategies and plans in a way that encourages partnership and involvement.
Support parents in effectively fulfilling their Christian parenting roles, in concert with other pastoral staff.
Assist in the development of the youth ministry budget; also manage student fees for events and trips in a timely fashion.
Seek to integrate youth ministry into all phases of church life to create a culture that is intentionally intergenerational, striving to unite with and complement other church ministries.
Participate as requested in the evaluation and development of the overall church ministry.
Other duties as required.
Expectations: 1. Arrive 20 minutes prior to the beginning of any scheduled event to ensure the necessary support staff and items are in place.
2. Grow the youth ministry in meaningful ways.
3. Weekly one-on-one mentoring by the Senior Pastor so he may provide encouragement, direction, support, and challenge you toward holiness and righteousness.
4. Attend worship services, prayer service, and special meetings.
5. Present quarterly ministry updates and goals for the coming year to the Elder board.
6. Participate in a quarterly job performance review.
7. Present a yearly youth budget proposal.
8. Stay current with youth ministry practices by reading, attending youth leadership conferences, etc.
9. Preach and teach on occasion in the absence of the Senior Pastor.
Understand there will be an annual review to determine if he continues in the office of Youth Pastor.
We consider this a ¾ time ministry position that comes with a salary, vacation time, and mileage reimbursement, with a two bedroom apartment, utilities included.