Job Description - Technical Director
Position Status: Regular Full Time
Reporting to: Worship Director
Influenced by: Central Technical Director
Job Summary and Purpose
Harvest Church is looking for a technical director (TD) who is strong in systems and team building. The Lockwood campus technical director will oversee all campus technical staff, volunteers and operations (AVL) related, but not limited to the weekend experience. This position will also operate as the central broadcast audio engineer at the central campus (located in the Heights) along with an assistant TD to the central technical director. The technical director understands video, lighting, projection, wiring, presentation software and audio. The technical director also recruits, trains, schedules volunteers and produces services, special events including but not limited to weddings and funerals.
Specific Responsibilities and Job Duties
The Weekend Experience
- Provide leadership and oversight to all system support (audio, video and lighting) for the weekend experience including the operation and maintenance of all gear.
- Operate as the Service Production Director (SPD) ensuring all technical elements in the weekend flow are in place and that volunteers are fully engaged and communicated to.
- Run “Front of House” (FOH) or other positions in the team when volunteers are not available to serve. (Ideally this would move to an as-needed or occasional basis as you develop the team)
- Operate as the central broadcast engineer for Saturday night experiences.
- Provide and maintain a high level of excellence in all technical aspects of the weekend experience.
- Recruit, train, develop and maintain a team of volunteers for service production, church events, weddings and funerals. Goal is significant depth (3 deep) in all positions you oversee.
- Provide basic training to other ministries’ volunteers for recurring events (e.g. children’s ministry, small group meetings, youth group, etc.)
- Lead, inspire and manage your team of volunteers while executing their development strategy.
- Provide spiritual leadership and genuine care for the well being of your team of volunteers.
- Attend weekly meetings for weekend services planning and review along with event planning.
- Attend weekly campus staff, monthly all staff and central TD meetings, along with any other meetings designated by your direct report or needed to fulfill your job duties.
- Provide system maintenance and acquisition for AVL equipment in all venues on campus.
- Oversee and be accountable for technical volunteers for weekend services and ensure roles are filled, including creating a volunteer schedule on a quarterly basis. Helping to manage Planning Center Online database, keeping it current and up-to-date.
- Provide spiritual leadership and genuine care for the well-being of your staff and volunteers.
- Provide assistance to the central TD in support of the technical needs of Harvest Church.
Other Focus Areas
- Provide technical support to campus ministry events outside of the weekend services by utilizing volunteers. This includes but is not limited to weddings and funerals.
- Coordinate ministry event tech requests through Harvest Connect (online database for people and facilities).
- Provide technical support for Harvest Church-wide events, not necessarily pertaining to the Lockwood campus (e.g. Church Online Recording, Celebrate Freedom, Nights of Worship, etc.) under the direction of your direct report and the central technical director.
BUDGET & MINISTRY PLANS
- Oversee and execute the Lockwood tech arts budget.
- Craft an annual ministry plan for the Lockwood tech arts ministry clearly communicating vision, ministry initiatives with coinciding budget allocations encompassing the technical arts ministry constants influenced by the central technical director.
- Oversee equipment choice. Purchase equipment in collaboration with the central technical director to ensure quality, functionality and integration. Provide recommendations for additional technical equipment needed to achieve technical goals.
BROADCAST & CENTRAL TD ASSISTANT
- Provide broadcast mix support for Saturday experiences at the central campus including special events and experiences when needed.
- Develop and train members of the technical arts team in the area of broadcast audio.
- Assist the central TD with tasks related to the health and development of Harvest Church technical arts.
- Provide broadcast mix or other support for Church Online recordings when needed.
- Provide studio audio mixing for church recording projects and Church Online content.
- Assist with developing and creating the stage sets for use during sermon series and special events at the Heights campus and across Harvest Church.
- Assist in stage changes and stage set change-outs.
- Provide assistance with system maintenance and development.
Job Skills, Attributes and Qualifications
The Lockwood Technical Director is a relational position in that it requires consistent interaction with staff, volunteers and church members each weekend. The Lockwood TD will be a leader and a developer of leaders, capable of casting vision, shepherding the team, and overseeing the administration, volunteers and activities of their ministry.
The Lockwood Technical Director will have the following experience and attributes:
- A deep, evident love of Christ, Church and Kingdom that shapes all aspects of his life.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to the mission, vision and core values of Harvest Church.
- Able to operate and function under the staff covenant of Harvest Church.
- A commitment to a life-stye of continual growth in both character and competency.
- An ability to lead at a departmental level, overseeing the care and development of staff and volunteers.
- Catalytic leadership-a high energy self-starter who gets things done and makes things happen.
- Able to mix audio, program and run lighting, expertise in presentation software and execution, proficiency in video presentation.
- Experience mixing in a broadcast audio and studio environment.
- Proficient with ProTools.
- Have knowledge and skills in stage set building and design.
- Ability to trouble-shoot problems which may occur during a service and efficiently recover the service.
- Proficient in Worship planning and scheduling software (Planning Center Online).
- Team player-Someone people will follow, but who is also willing to be a great follower.
- High Capacity Operator - Someone who shows capacity to juggle a lot of balls simultaneously, and enjoys doing so - Self-Starter.
- Receptive to change, constantly striving for excellence.
- Good communication skills and a people person.
- Professional completion of time sensitive tasks related to weekly events and services.
- Growing understanding of the technical field with the ability to research and recommend the best solution to technical issues.
- Proficient in AVL wiring, soldering, repair, troubleshooting, and maintenance
Formal education is not a predetermining factor for the selection of the Lockwood Technical Director. However, it is likely that a candidate will hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
This position requires Harvest Church Covenant Membership, which includes regular attendance, tithing and volunteer service at Harvest Church.
To view the full job portfolio along with Harvest Church facts and history, you can download at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aeyixdowywj7di7/AACy45RqSSFu9oGKgs8K0YsVa?dl=0
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
- San Diego, California
- September 26
Multi-media ManagerWest End United Methodist Church
- Nashville, Tennessee
- September 26
IT Support TechnicianNew Hope Church
- Manvel, Texas
- September 22
Technical DirectorParkview Baptist Church
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- September 22
Morning Star Church - FilmmakerVanderbloemen Search Group
- Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
- September 21