Medford First Church of the Nazarene
STUDENT MINISTRIES Pastor
about medford first church of the nazarene
Medford First is a thriving multi-generational, multi-cultural, multi-congregational church with a focus on helping people take their next-steps in finding & following Jesus.
In the past two years we have seen strong growth in both gathering people for worship and in sending them out on mission. We’ve grown from 800 to 1,200 in weekend worship attendance, launched a growing Spanish-speaking congregation, partnered with our neighborhood
Elementary School in community transformation through an initiative called CityCare, and launched a health-care initiative in Lastic, Haiti where we assist in providing education and health-care to 150 students.
Our Mission – Helping people take their next steps in finding and following Jesus.
Our Values – We are: Loving, Authentic, Growing, Optimistic, Generous, and Missional
ABOUT THE STUDENT MINISTIRES PASTOR ROLE
The Student Ministries Pastor is an equipping pastor at Medford First Church of the Nazarene. This means that the primary measure for success is the number of people who are being developed as leaders and sent out on mission. This means developing spirit-led
servant leaders and students. Our desire is that every student has a caring small group mentor in his or her life and those students are lead to find their place of service within the local church and community.
Currently the average weekly attendance in our Student Ministry is around 100 students and we have 30 adult leaders. One part-time Administrative Assistant, and a paid Student Ministries Intern currently serve as a part of the Student Ministries Team.
We provide separate ministry environments for Middle School and High School.
GENERAL AREAS OF OVERSIGHT
1. Provide relational and Biblically grounded ministry environments for students that lead towards growth and transformation.
- Middle School ministry is 6th-8th grades and runs programing during our Sunday 10:45am service and with plans to expand this ministry to all weekend services.
- High School ministry is 9th-12th grades and runs programing on Wed. nights and small groups in homes throughout the week.
- College/Young Adult ministry is led by our Student Ministries Intern who reports to the Student Ministries pastor.
- Our Student Ministry strategy provides three types of environments:
- Gathering environments for practical biblical teaching
- Growing environments for applying the scriptures in community
- Going environments for living-out mission locally and globally
2. Develop Leaders
- The Student Ministries Pastor will develop a team-based approach to ministry that develops leaders along our Leadership Development Pathway.
- The Student Ministries Pastor will equip communicators and small group leaders with tools for practical, Biblical, teaching.
- Our approach to recruiting new leaders is what we call “shoulder-tapping” and involves taking initiative in identifying and onboarding new leaders.
3. Lead the Morale of the Team
- The Student Ministries Pastor celebrates wins with the team, provides pastoral care, and works to monitor and remove barriers that lead to burn out.
- Clear, cosinsitant, and positive written and verbal communication are required with co-workers, volunteer leaders, students and parents.
OTHER AREAS OF DEVELOPMENT
- A wide variety of hiking, rafting, and camping opportunities surround Medford. A Student Ministries Pastor who loved the outdoors would thrive here.
- Work with Camp, Raft Trip, and Mission Trip leaders to coordinate, promote, and lead events that help students to grow in their faith and self-awareness.
- We leverage technology in our student experiences, so knowledge of technology (video editing, audio equipment, social media) is a huge plus.
- Provide influence and oversight of other church initiatives as needed.
- Development as a part of the teaching team for weekend worship gatherings.
POSITIONS DIRECTLY SUPERVISED
Student Ministry Intern
Student Ministry Administrative Assistant
Volunteer Directors and Team Members
Pastor of Discipleship and Leadership Development