PASTOR OF ADULT MINISTRIES
In 1968 ten families took a leap of faith and began praying over their shared dream of establishing a church in the northeast suburbs. They began meeting for worship at an elementary school in 1969. Lakewood Evangelical Free Church was officially chartered by the State of Minnesota and formally recognized as part of the Evangelical Free Church of America in 1972. A search for a permanent home resulted in the construction of a portion of our current facility, which was completed in the spring of 1973.
As Lakewood’s people lived out their commitment to minister to the surrounding community, the congregation experienced significant growth during the I980’s. Space was proving to be inadequate for the quality ministries the church sought to provide. The decision was made to expand the facility to accommodate the additional growth that was anticipated. Phase I of a new addition was completed in 1986. When it came time to consider the second phase, it became apparent that the current site was too small.
If Lakewood was to continue to expand its ministry and enlarge its impact on the surrounding community, a new location was needed. Recognizing the future need, the faithful people of Lakewood voted in 1996 to purchase 108 acres of land and relocate to a larger property in Lake Elmo that will offer nearly unlimited potential for future ministry. Through the prayers and sacrificial giving of the people of Lakewood, God miraculously provided the $1 million needed to purchase the land. After many years of working with the city, our new facility was completed and our first Sunday was held in July of 2007. The church also changed our name from Lakewood Evangelical Free Church to Rockpoint Church prior to our move so that we would be ready to launch our ministry into a new region.
Countless prayers and sacrificial giving of time, talents and treasures has been a rich history of our church. Based on God’s faithfulness in our past, our humble dependence on Him, our leadership has felt the prompting of the Holy Spirit to pursue a new work of God locally and globally. As we now embark on the future of Rockpoint with God’s vision, we believe that God will do a new and fresh work in the lives of each person, our community, the North East Metro area of the Twin Cities, our nation and around the World.
We invite you to visit the church web site www.rockpoint.church where you will find more information about Rockpoint Church. We have recently embarked on our new Vision 2020 plan which details out our 5 year strategic plan along with our Values, Mission Statement and Vision. We are more than happy to forward these to any prospective candidate.
Rockpoint Church is part of the Evangelical Free Church of America. Therefore we are congregationally led. What that means for us is that we bring before the church membership the following items for approval by majority: The annual budget, Senior Pastor, Elders, Deacons and according to our by-laws the sale of properties. Our Leadership Board (or Elders) are made up of men only and our Deacons have both men and women serving on the Deacon Board.
The Senior Pastor is a voting member of the Elder Board and is accountable to the Elders of the Church. Based on our newly adopted governance, the Executive Pastor would serve as a non-voting member of the Elder or Leadership Board and would oversee all of the staff. He would directly report to the Senior Pastor. Our Leadership Board is responsible for the overall direction and spiritual life of the church however, once the vision an direction is established, they allow the Pastoral staff, under the direction of the Senior and Executive Pastor to implement the vision.
The Pastor of Adult Ministries is a new position at Rockpoint and will report to the Executive Pastor. This person will also oversee three staff positions which are the following: Director of Men’s ministries (part-time), Pastor of women’s ministry (3/4 time), and Director of Senior Ministries (3/4 time).
The role of the Pastor of Adult Ministries is to lead this team toward our Vision 2020 plan and strategic initiatives (See Vision 2020 document) for adults of all ages. The primary focus is on ministry oversight, capacity and development of the staff (with the help of the Executive Pastor), implementation, and management of all adult ministries. The Pastor of Adults must be a “servant leader” who leads relationally, and provides continuity with the entire staff team toward the accomplishment of our Vision and Mission.
A strategic focus will be placed on disciple making (small groups, classes, one-on-one), connecting adults, marriage and family, and community outreach. While this person is not expected to do every ministry or attend every event, they must have the ability to develop and manage multiple ministries toward a healthy infrastructure.
The duties and responsibilities of the PASTOR OF ADULT MINISTRIES include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Management and oversight of a staff of the 3 positions listed above.
- Provide development, direction and oversight of our small group ministries. Assist the small group lay-leader in development of authentic community relationships and discipleship, consistent with our Mission, Vision and Values.
- Evaluate, design and develop a cohesive connections ministry or process for Adults
- Evaluate and design a community outreach based on community needs
- Recruit and train adult volunteers (with adult team members)
- Develop and implement a healthy, sermon based small group structure
- Develop and implement a healthy, elective class structure
- Develop and oversee pre-marriage and marriage ministry
- Coordinate Adult Ministry efforts with all Adult, Family and Youth ministries (collaborate with children and student pastors for a grace based family ministry)
- Provide counseling and pastoral care when called upon
- Preach periodically – if your gifts align with this area
SPIRITUAL & PERSONAL
The Pastor of Adult Ministries should be able to articulate clearly his relationship with Jesus Christ, profess a well-grounded and vital faith, and exhibit a Christ-centered life. The Pastor of Adult Ministries should be committed to the authority of God’s Word and committed to embracing the Evangelical Free Church Doctrinal Statement. This person should also have a love for the local church and have a heart to minister in the church through this position. A high energy level and a readiness to take on this significant challenge is a must.
The candidate should have a high degree of demonstrated teaching abilities, collaboration with teams, extroverted in nature and enjoy connecting with a broad spectrum of adults. They also must be energized by developing and designing systems that make disciples who make disciples. This can and should take place through the seasons of life and in community. A love for marriage and family ministries is also something that this candidate needs to be drawn toward.
The Pastor of Adult Ministries must understand and embrace the idea that the Church is relational and pastoral in nature. There are institutional and organizational features to the life of the church, but they serve a ministry purpose. Balancing both the relational and strategic nature of Adults ministries is important as we seek to help Adults follow Jesus, become better moms and dads, and reach their world for Christ.
Staff fit and coordination with all other pastoral staff members will also be considered as we look at personality and overall church fit.
MINISTERIAL & PROFESSIONAL
- Commit to the values, mission and vision of Rockpoint Church and whole-heartedly support the
- Has the leadership ability to recruit, train, encourage, motivate and equip others, and manage
multiple projects and people.
- Has the communication skill necessary to communicate a growing vision for Adult Ministries
- Embrace the style and philosophy of worship at Rockpoint Church.
- Be willing to network and continue to grow as a Pastor of Adult Ministries
- Energized by people
- Enjoy connecting with Adults
- Designer/developer as well as strategic thinker
- Committed to discipleship as an operating system
- Demonstrated ability to work on a staff team
- High degree of Emotional intelligence and ability to connect with a variety of adults of all ages,
parents, married and singles.
- Have a strong passion for discipleship, small groups, classes, connecting adults and marriage and family ministries.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Seminary Degree
- 3 – 5 years of related experience on multi-staffed church
- Management oversight or proven capactiy
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, train and develop adults
- High level of motivation and personal accountability; must be a team player.
- Male and married
WHAT WOULD BE MOST MOTIVATING TO THE IDEAL CANDIDATE?
- An active relationship-builder who provides energy and enthusiasm that matches the culture of Rockpoint’s church and staff. They will need the ability to connect with people and learn what makes Rockpoint special and harness those unique qualities toward Kingdom Impact in our area and around the world.
- Energized by developing and designing ways for adults to reach their community for Christ and grow as followers of Jesus.
- Actively engaging in dialogue and collaboration with an adult pastoral/director team.
- Loving and spending time with all adults
- Working with staff at designing a grace based marriage and family ministry
- Be a gifted strategist and infrastructure-builder that is able to distill the best ideas that move us
toward our vision.
WHERE IS THIS PERSON TODAY?
- A similar position in another large church or nonprofit organization or parachurch ministry.
Someone coming from another church or nonprofit organization might have a shorter learning curve relative to the culture and ethos of Rockpoint Church.
- A similar position in a smaller church than Rockpoint, but clearly demonstrating they have the
capacity to oversee a broader ministry for Adults.
- A Senior Pastor of a church who recognizes they are not as gifted in preaching and vision and
therefore would rather focus on discipleship ministries for adults.
The ideal candidate will wake up each day energized by the prospects of walking with God while working in the local church. The Pastor of Adult Ministries will have the unique opportunity of seeing the influence and impact of this ministry grow to significant levels. The Pastor of Adult Ministries will be able to look back with gratitude to God and see how this position has played a role in creating an environment in which people from the Northeast Region of the Twin Cities find Jesus Christ and grow as a follower of Jesus Christ, thus influencing the world for Christ.
Compensation consists of a competitive base salary dependent on the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. A comprehensive benefit package is provided that includes a health and
We encourage anyone who is qualified and has a strong desire to work in this environment to contact us and discuss the position. Alternatively, you may know of someone to nominate for this position.
In order to get to know you better, please provide a comprehensive resume/CV. When writing the resume/CV, substance is of more interest than brevity. Give enough information so that the breadth of your ministry experience is understood.
When describing your work as a church staff member it would be helpful to know the total membership of the church, the worship style of the church, the size of the staff, where you were on the organization chart, your direct reports, etc.
If you are in a para-church organization or non-profit, be very specific about your involvement and
experience in a local church. While humility is appreciated, it is important for us to know the breadth and depth of your involvement and how God has used you in the life of the local church.
As we progress through our careers, most of us have changed jobs and/or employers several times. For each job change, be sure to include why you moved from that position to your next.
Please include some information about your family, your love for the local church and desire to focus on adult ministries.
SUBMIT YOUR RESUME TO:
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Associate Pastor for Small Groups and AdministrationCapshaw Baptist Church
- Harvest, Alabama
- October 21
Pastor to MenCompass Church
- Salinas, California
- October 20
Discipleship PastorBethel Church
- Owatonna, Minnesota
- October 19
Elementary DirectorRiver Pointe Church
- Richmond, Texas
- October 19
Administrative PastorFolsom Foursquare Church
- Folsom, California
- October 18
Rockpoint Church was planted in 1969 in White Bear Lake, Minnesota and known as Lakewood Evangelical Free Church. From its founding, Rockpoint has been committed to reaching people in the surrounding communities with the gospel of Jesus Christ. In 2007 we moved into a new facility in Lake Elmo as Rockpoint Church, with a desire to establish a regional presence in the northeast suburbs of St. Paul and the St. Croix Valley. Rockpoint Church exists to make disciples through Gospel-Centered Teaching, Gospel-Centered Growth and G More...