The Director of Finance is responsible for insuring the financial operations of the church are processed and reported accurately and with integrity. He/She does this in unity with the vision and policies approved by the Senior Pastor. The Director’s goal
is to provide financial oversight, management and leadership in the areas of finance, internal control and auditing. The successful accomplishment of this position supports the church ministries so that AOC is positioned to produce a growing number of disciples,
transformed by God, who live to transform their world.
- Plan, organize, lead and control all activities related to financial activities
- Account for and verify all church incomes, with the help of the Financial Secretary
- Supervise the disbursement of funds in a timely fashion and within authorized limits under the direction of the church Treasurer
- Monitor and approve all expenditures in accordance with financial policies and procedures
- Coordinate the preparation of the church budget each year with the staff, Elder Board and Finance Commission
- Present monthly and yearly financial statements showing sources and uses for funds, current cash position, and projected cash needs
- Assist in preparation of documents for an annual internal audit
- Monitor tax laws and regulations affecting the church
- Maintain banking relationships and arrange for necessary bank services
- Provide financial documentation to CPA for tax preparation as well as responsibility for all required tax returns including filing of payroll tax returns and payments
- Serve as a member of both Finance and Building Commissions
- Serve as a member of the Benevolence Committee, disburse funds, and provide financial counseling as needed
- Other duties as required
- Educate and train staff on policies and procedure
- Review and update policies and procedures as required
- Resolve non-compliance issues and escalate them if necessary
- Assist others to identify and resolve problems
- Perform administrative duties for Stewardship Programs and Campaigns as necessary
- Perform analysis and prepare financial reports, as necessary
- Plan organize, lead, and maintain all lease relationships for the church including contract and procurement, office equipment, maintenance equipment and other leases.
- The Director of Finance shall report to and be accountable to the Executive Director and shall maintain open communication with the Executive Director.
- Board Relationship
- The Director of Finance shall work closely with Elder Liaisons as directed by the Executive Director.
- The Director of Finance shall report directly to the Executive Director and will directly oversee the Financial Associate and the Financial Administrative Assistant. As the Director of Finance, works with the entire church staff and shall work to maintain
team camaraderie and mutual support.
- As part of the management team, Director of Finance must have strong leadership, technology, analytical and communication skills. He/She shall have a strong composition of the following spiritual gifts: Administration, Discernment, Wisdom, Leadership,
Teamwork and Service. He/She shall have experience in the skills required to perform with excellence in the areas of Finance and needs to have at least five (5) years experience in financial accounting as well as three (3) years of people management. A
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and/or Finance is required. Knowledge of non-profit accounting principles (Fund Accounting) is required. Proficiency in ACS Church Software is highly valued. He/She shall have the ability to work on a team towards specific
goals in a mutually edifying and supportive manner. He/She shall have a teachable and open attitude. The Director of Finance shall demonstrate a commitment to and agree with the Statement of Faith as stated in the Constitution of Austin Oaks Church.