New Union Baptist Church is located in Dayton, TN (pop 7,000+) in Rhea County (32,000+ residents). Dayton provides the benefits of a warm and family oriented atmosphere just a short drive from Chattanooga or Cleveland, TN. Dayton is about an hour from Knoxville,
TN and a little over 2 hours from both Atlanta, GA and Nashville, TN. Dayton is a growing community with a stable economy and a vision for growth in both the city and the county. Dayton and Rhea County have solid school systems, good businesses, a low cost
of living, great fishing, hiking, recreational lakes, hunting, and more.
New Union Baptist Church has experienced dynamic growth in the last 4 years growing from a weekly attendance of 365 (2012) in one service to over 500 a week combined in two worship services. Over the last four years over 80 people have been baptized and
another 140 have joined the church through our membership process.
New Union is a multi-generational church that was started in 1890. There is a growing children’s ministry (2’s-5th grade) with over 150 children involved in KidVenture (Wednesday Night) each week. Over 100 students a week are involved in the Wednesday night
youth ministry with more than 20 volunteers who are deeply committed to seeing students know and live for Christ. There are also 70 students involved in weekly d-groups that meet for accountability, scripture memory, bible study, and prayer each week.
In addition there are many Bryan College students seeking degrees in Biblical Studies or Church Ministry who are looking for a place to plug-in and serve. Bryan is an independent four year Christian university located in Dayton, TN. There are currently 30-40
college students attending our worship services each week.
The Associate Pastor of Youth will lead and maintain oversight of students in Junior High and High School. He will focus on leading students to grow in their relationships with Christ by providing intentional and strategic leadership to the programming,
parents, and volunteers of the ministry.
This is not an entry-level position for youth ministry. As a church with only 3 full-time pastors, the current season of ministry and growth does not leave room for learning the ropes of ministry in the first year. The expectation level for this role requires
a significant level of experience and ministry maturity to assist the Sr. Pastor in equipping a growing congregation.
The ideal candidate will:
- Demonstrate the qualifications and godly character found in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1.
- Communicate a clear call to pastoral ministry and understanding of the role of a pastor as described in Acts 20, Ephesians 4, Hebrews 13, and 1 Peter 5.
- Desire to serve specifically in a role focused on middle and high school students.
- Maintain a strong commitment to personal and spiritual growth.
- Be flexible and at ease with a wide range of responsibilities related to the yearly ministry of the church.
- Be willing and able to function as a member of team. (There are no silos at New Union. We are a lean staff of 3 full-time pastors, 1 part-time pastor, 2 part-time worship leaders, 1 full-time support staff, and 3 part-time support staff members)
- Enjoy living in an outdoors oriented, family focused, beautiful community.
During the first year the Associate Pastor of Youth Ministry will focus on the following:
- Developing and implementing a vision, goals, and strategy for keeping Junior High School and High School aged students engaged and growing in their relationships with Christ.
- Develop student programming, ranging from Wednesday Night, Sunday School, D-Groups, missions, camps, retreats, and other activities.
- Be a presence in the community, specifically at events involving students and schools
- Recruit and Invest in a growing number of volunteers by focusing on their continued personal growth in Christ.
- Partner with parents and help them grow as the primary spiritual influence in the lives of their children.
- Ensure that the youth ministry and all volunteers complies with the Child Protection Policy of New Union Baptist Church. (Screening, Interviews, Background checks, safety training, etc)
- Keep Youth Ministry aligned with the overall vision, mission, and strategy of New Union Baptist Church.
Requirements for Consideration:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Previous full-time ministry experience