The Communications Associate serves as Internet Specialist and Graphic Artist. As Internet Specialist, this person will administer Northwoods websites, social media, online messages, mobile apps, and related tools—spanning technical and creative aspects.
As Graphic Artist, this person will create visual pieces to support both all-church and ministry-specific initiatives. The work will cross media, including print, web, mobile, and video.
- Collaborate with Communications Director to maintain the constant flow of information and inspiration.
- Be a student of best practices and a champion for innovation to advance the ministries of Northwoods.
- Understand, honor, and reinforce all-church priorities.
- Ensure accuracy and timeliness.
- Coordinate proofreading and review.
Websites: Plan and execute web content. Continually monitor our site(s) for opportunities to improve their usefulness and impact. Monitor points of integration with other systems, including events from The City, messages from the Media Archive,
- A. Online Tools: Manage the interactions between Northwoods website(s) and related tools such as Constant Contact, Vimeo, Sermon Network, SmugMug, Flickr, etc. Be familiar with different tools to help Northwoods
choose the best solutions.
- B. Social Media: Ensure website(s) are integrated with social media. Play a leading role in helping Northwoods leverage social media for ministry goals. Collaborate with staff, volunteers, and contractors to foster
a lively and appropriate social media presence. Be present and engaged both personally and via the corporate personality. Encourage viral sharing and friendly conversation through calls to action and valuable content.
- C. The City: Help guide the overall use of The City for all-church purposes and within different ministry groups. Note: This is an emerging community platform for Northwoods, so we will all be learning together
how best to use it!
- D. Mobile: Help Northwoods implement and maintain excellent services for mobile platforms, including, phones and tablets.
- E. Metrics: Establish and maintain careful tracking and metrics to help Northwoods gauge the effectiveness of online tools.
- Creative Communication: Help ministries conceive and implement communication pieces that further their ministry goals.
- Graphic Design: Produce creative communications projects of all sorts, including brochures, fliers, postcards, web graphics, screen presentations, specialties, etc. Weekly layout of bulletins is a primary task. Generate images, layouts,
and related elements needed for key events, featured activities, and other ministry efforts. Help keep priority messages fresh through occasional refreshes to visual elements.
- Bulletin, Enews, Table Toppers, Slides, Sermon Helps: Execute layouts and light-to-medium copywriting for printed and electronic items. Create and adapt graphic arts elements as needed.
- Art Direction: Select images to accompany ministry communications both online and in print. Provide direction for photographers.
- Website, App, City: Facilitate “This Week” elements on website which will include message description, study guide, featured announcements, song list, giving principle, etc. Execute layouts and light-to-medium copywriting. Ensure mobile
app presentation of web content is working as expected. Help transition to successor products and methods as we build out The City, the new website, and the new mobile app.
- Website, Media Archive: Post content for sermon series, special events, featured activities, and group studies. Manage supplemental online services such as Vimeo, SmugMug, Flickr, and Constant Contact.
- Communication Scheduling: Participate in review and assessment of communications schedules.
- Ministry Support: Help with ministry requests for graphic arts assistance, web-content updates, City needs, and other communication-related projects.
- Metrics: Help Northwoods utilize appropriate measures and analytics in order to continually improve communications effectiveness.
- Volunteers: Help recruit, lead, and train volunteers to reinforce and expand the communication team.
- Training: Help staff and volunteer leaders understand how to use web systems. Coach ministries toward excellence in communication.
- Consistency and Excellence: Sustain a common voice and protect the Northwoods visual brand.
- Staff Meetings: Attend staff meetings for global, visionary, and organizational matters.