Sturgeon Alliance Church
Lead Pastor Responsibilities
Execute Vision (feeds into all other responsibilities). The vision is described in the Board Policy Manual. A brief synopsis of the vision is given in the Church Profile section.
- Convey the Vision and policy to the staff as a delegate of the board
- Guide staff/volunteers on execution of the Vision (within policy)
- Monitor performance data with respect to the Vision
- Start/stop programs relative to the Vision progress relative to (current) resources
- Oversee the preaching team
- Preach at least 75% of the regular schedule
- Active involvement in a home bible study group, prayer meetings, Sunday services
Pastoral Care (25%)
- Officiating at weddings/funerals
- Maintain regular contact with members/adherents
- Pastor care to staff, board
- Lead and develop staff and key ministry leaders
- Hiring for all staff positions except Lead Pastor
- Speaks to the board on behalf of the staff
- Ensure staff performance with respect to the Vision
- Develop and administer annual budget with the Finance committee
- Allocation of surplus budget funds with Finance committee
- Maintaining staff within budget
- Implement emergency cost-cutting plans, if required with Finance committee
- Ensure all expenses are within Canadian law with respect to Registered Charities in Canada
- Ensure all fundraising is done within biblical principles and in accordance with Canadian law.
- Ensure resources are secured against loss (provide insurance, limit liability exposure)
- Name an associate to provide backfill in his absence and keep that person prepared to backfill
- Inform the board of anticipated adverse media coverage (i.e. give heads up when storm is brewing)
- Provide staff viewpoints as they apply to board business
- Report any anticipated non-compliance (boundary violations)
- Provide monthly pastoral reports
- Strong prayer life
- Passion for God’s Word
- Community minded
- Servant leadership
- Extroverted in nature
- Skilled at time management
Sturgeon Alliance Church exists, through the power of the Holy Spirit, to make fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ who are growing in their love for God and their love for one another. Our motto is to Love God, Love Others, and Do something about it.
In the next 3-5 years, we desire to focus on church renewal, growing together, and living on mission. Sturgeon Alliance Church is a thriving church body with a strong children’s outreach, Kings Kids preschool (registered), a VBS program with well over 100
children, a well-attended youth group, many weekly small group Bible studies, a grief support program and additional community outreach activities. Average weekly attendance is around 300 combined in both services. For more information, please visit www.sturgeonalliance.org.
Sturgeon Alliance Church is in Gibbons, Alberta, a small town 20 minutes north of Edmonton, Alberta. Gibbons is a down to earth community with a population of around 3,000. The military base, agriculture and oil industry are major employers in the area.
Amenities include an arena, a library, an outdoor rink, a skateboard park, a sports field, 2 schools and a river valley.
The church offers community based ministry in different forms including regular programs noted under Church Profile as well as special events such as Lawnmower Tune-up Day, Outdoor services, and participation in the town’s Remembrance Day service. Sturgeon
Alliance Church has the largest auditorium in Gibbons and is used for community events.
For more information please visit www.gibbons.ca.
If you believe God may be calling you to this position, please send your resume with references to:
Search Committee Chair
Application deadline: March 11, 2016