The Director of Children’s Ministry administers and develops all facets of Children Ministry and works closely with the Director of Youth Ministries to do the same for Family Ministry. This position is responsible for planning, coordinating, and overseeing
activities for children and families to promote fun, fellowship, spiritual development, mission, and ministry involvement. This individual is responsible for the leadership, administration, relationships, spiritual nurture, teaching, pastoral care, creative
programming, and vision for the Children and Families Program.
This is a part-time position with a minimum requirement of 18 hours/week.
The Director of Children’s Ministry must be an acknowledged Christian and will function under the guidelines of the
Discipline and Doctrine of the United Methodist Church and the personnel policies of Journey UMC.
- Report to the Pastor for direction and guidance
- Attend all staff meetings, currently meeting bi-weekly on Thursdays
- Be an active team player with the staff of Journey Church
- Effectively relate and build relationships with children and parents
- Safely transport children to events as required
- Follow the Safe Sanctuary Policy
- Live as an example of the highest ideals of Christian conduct
- Represent Children’s Ministry at all regular Administrative Council Meetings with a written report on each area
- Attend a children’s ministry conference/spiritual life retreat once a year
- Increase attendance and participation in children’s ministry activities, family activities, small groups and Sunday School
- Work closely with the Director of Youth Ministry to ensure the transition of students from Children Ministry to Youth Ministry is done in a manner that alleviates fear and uncertainty.
- Work to invite and welcome new families and current membership into the ministry and the life of the church
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Children’s Ministry
- Design and put into practice a ministry to children within an atmosphere of Christian growth through Bible study and training through the use of age-appropriate materials and activities.
- Family Ministry
- This is a shared responsibility with the Director of Youth Ministry to care for the needs of
families in the church.
- Leadership, Vision, and Administration
- Create a collaborative vision and develop an integrated Family Ministry Program (including children’s and youth) that supports the vision, mission, and values of Journey UMC
- Prepare annual goals for the children’s and family ministries with quarterly reports of objectives and results
- Oversee the Children’s Ministry’s strategic planning/goal setting, budget, records, curriculum, equipment, food, supplies, and resources
- Assure that curriculum materials, equipment and other supplies are available for Sunday School and other activities as needed
- Maintain up to date volunteer forms such as background checks and driver’s information forms
- Coordinate communications related to Children’s and Family Ministries via emails, church website, facebook, phone calls, mailings, bulletin and newsletter announcements
- Communicate often and effectively with parents, the congregation, and the community
- Creatively engage children in Christian fellowship with the congregation
- Oversee all Children & Family Ministry events and activity planning, logistics, and volunteers
- Oversee the VBS program
- Contribute to the church website and church social media as needed
- Recruiting and Leading Volunteers
- Recruit and provide leadership, direction and training for all children’s and family ministry volunteers
- Maintain communication with volunteers via email, phone contact and postcards
- Maintain schedules for volunteers and/or teachers
- Ensure appropriate children/adult ratio in all church functions
- Educate volunteers on the Safe Sanctuary Policy
- Teaching and Spiritual Nurture
- Pray for the children and families of Journey UMC and the surrounding community
- Encourage children to use their gifts, respond to God’s call and to grow in Christian maturity
- Build strong programs for Bible study that communicate Biblical principles in a clear and exciting way
- Creative Programming
- Plan, organize and facilitate engaging activities for the families such as: family retreats, outings for the whole family, picnics, movies, and seasonal programs
- An event for each area of ministry should be scheduled quarterly
- Pastoral Care and Counseling of Children and Families
- Make yourself available for family counseling and consulting with the pastor as needed keeping confidentiality as determined by law.
Staff members are expected to perform their duties in such a manner and spirit as becomes a Christian, and which will make people feel valued within the church.