The Lead Pastor will provide vision and spiritual direction for Bear Valley church - primarily by preaching and teaching the Word of God, leading our staff and overseeing the various ministries so the body of Christ is built up and equipped to serve.
Responsibility and Authority
Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and understanding of Scripture he will:
1. Develop and communicate a clear vision for the future of Bear Valley Church
2. Preach the Bible effectively in such a way as to “shepherd the flock of God under your care” (1 Peter 5:2) and point the lost to Christ as Savior
3. Cooperate with the Deacon board in overseeing the ministries of the church, so all things are “done decently and in order” (1 Cor 14:40) while maintaining our Church Unleashed distinctives
4. Lead the staff in serving Christ and His Church with passion and integrity
5. Lead and influence the work of the other pastors and church staff so the team functions in a healthy way, communicating and cooperating together to advance the mission of the church
6. Ensure the spiritual needs of the congregation are met in cooperation with other staff and volunteer leaders
7. Adhere to the doctrinal statement (Articles of Faith, Article 1)
8. Fulfill all other responsibilities which the Bylaws stipulate
9. Remain accountable to the Pastor’s Accountability Council (Bylaws - Section 5)
Essential Character, Education, Experience and Skills
By God’s grace and enabling Spirit he will:
1. Demonstrate a vital and growing personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ
2. Exhibit the Fruit of the Spirit
3. Live a mature and exemplary life based on clear biblical principles
4. Exemplify the scriptural qualifications of an elder, especially those found in 1 Tim 3:1-7 and Titus 1:6-9
5. Possess a character of integrity that is above reproach (1 Tim 3:2)
He will have a Master’s Degree from an accredited seminary school consistent with evangelical, conservative theology.
He will have a demonstrated call to the Gospel ministry with 5 or more years experience in a proven leadership role in a multi-staff church of at least 750, with participation in vision development and preaching.
1. Preaches the Word of God in a compelling way demonstrating conservative theological understanding with respect for cultural relevance, deeply challenging the congregants in their daily walk and relationship with God
2. Demonstrates a genuine love for God’s people across all ages and demographics
3. Communicates well in writing and in speech both publicly and privately
4. Lead persuasively, builds teams and coaches effectively to produce mature disciples of Christ
5. Displays a heart for missions
6. Has a heart for the lost and shows an ability to be relational and interact with all people regardless of where they are in their walk with Christ
Working Relationships and Accountability
The Lead Pastor of Bear Valley Church will be selected by the search team, approved and recommended to the Deacons, recommended to the church by the Deacons, elected and called by the congregation with a 75% positive vote. He will lead the church under
the authority of Christ and the Holy Scriptures, working with the Deacons on the budget, policies and overall direction of the church, while lovingly leading the other pastors and staff in a collegial spirit.