CHRIST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
EARLY ELEMENTARY DIRECTOR OF CHILDREN’S MINISTRY
The Children’s Minister is responsible for ministry to children and parents from birth through 2nd grade. The Early Elementary Director of Children’s Ministry will work out of highly relational and highly engaging family ministry model to disciple
families on mission. The Director oversees all aspects of Children’s Ministry related to birth through 2nd Grade at CUMC and is responsible for recruiting, developing, shepherding and maintaining the staff team and volunteers. This person will
report to the Executive Director of Community Life and will oversee the Nursery Coordinator and paid nursery staff.
Christ United Methodist Church is a 5,000 member evangelical Methodist church in Memphis, TN.
Church website www.cumcmemphis.org
Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention: Scott Lees—Executive Pastor
Christ Methodist Church mission is to glorify God as we make, mature and mobilize disciples by loving Jesus and loving like Jesus in the world. We are guided by our Five Values: Worship, glorifying God; Care, sharing life together; Share, practicing generosity;
Grow, disciples making disciples; Serve, being the hands and feet of Jesus. One of our primary vehicles is our family ministry model.
Christ Church is a leading voice in the gospel-centered missional movement within the UMC. Founded 60 years ago, the church has always had a heart for the city and missions. It’s a central part of the churches DNA and what others in the city and denomination
reference when people ask about the church.
Four years ago, the churches children’s ministry transitioned to a large group/small group format with a core team of consistent volunteers. There are three primary age groups Lil’Treekers (Nursery-Pre-K), KidVenture (K-2) and XPedition (3-5) with a designated
staff leader for each group. As the ministry has experienced significant growth, the team has expanded to five staff members each with specific skills they bring to the team. The primary responsibility of the Director is to provide pastoral leadership to
families and strategic development to the overall ministry.
Christ Church is currently led by Sr. Pastor Shane Stanford, who has served for four years. Shane’s unique story, dealing with HIV through a blood transfusion as a teenager, has shaped his life and this congregation. With over 700,000 people in the area
disconnected to Jesus and a local church, the mission field is vast and Christ Church believes that by developing families on mission we will participate with God in reaching these individuals.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Committed to the overall Vision of CUMC and our Five Values.
- Inspiring pastoral leader who can motivate others.
- Disciple-making leader who can pastor parents, staff and volunteers.
- Strong strategic developer who is able to organize a team to accomplish their goals.
- Team player—seeks what is best for the whole.
- Cast an inspiring vision for Early Elementary Children’s Ministry.
- Cultivate an atmosphere of love for Christ and the world with children and parents.
- Creates worship and learning environments for children where they can discover how to worship, fellowship, minister and reach out to others with the love of Christ.
- Partners with the family to equip parents to disciple their children.
- Provides staff oversight of VBS working closely with the VBS Chair.
- Develops ministry strategy and implements the strategy for birth through 2nd Grade.
- Serves as a coach and mentor to the Children’s Ministry Staff that reports to her/him.
- Recruits, trains, equips and empowers key volunteers for ministry.
- Works collaboratively with the staff and lay leadership to set team goals.
- Empowers and evaluates the staff members on Early Elementary Team as they implement their responsibilities.
- Provides ongoing evaluation of the curriculum and implement changes as needed.
- Actively looks for ways to improve the ministry and knowledge of new models.
- Participates in the worship life of the larger church as needed (baptisms, children’s sermons, special Children’s Sundays, etc.)
- Other duties as requested.
Early Childhood Education or similar degree preferred. Seminary or graduate theological degree a plus. At least three to five years experience leading a children’s ministry team and/or serving in a significant position within the team.