Director of Worship and Music Ministries
FULL OR PART-TIME: Full-time
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Senior Pastor and Executive Pastor
FEDERAL LABOR STANDARDS ACT STATUS: Exempt
WHO IS CHAPELWOOD?
Chapelwood United Methodist Church, founded in 1949, is a 6,500-plus-member church located in the Memorial Villages of Houston, Texas. It is a “community of communities” with two campuses housing five worship communities that host seven weekly worship services, all serving with a common mission, values, and disciple-making pathway. (See www.chapelwood.org.)
All Chapelwood staff members covenant to live by the Staff Values Covenant, which is formulated in the classic Wesleyan format of “do no harm,” “do good,” and “stay in love with God.”
The Director of Worship and Music Ministries will work primarily in three areas:
- Worship Coordination
- Work with senior leadership to develop an overall, closely integrated vision and direction for all worship at Chapelwood.
- Work with the individual worship service leaders and teams to help implement the vision of worship in their unique contexts.
- Serve as leading resource, mentor, and coach for all worship teams
- Initiate and develop ideas for current worship offerings and the introduction of new offerings/services.
- Be responsible directly for worship leadership in the two traditional worship services at Chapelwood.
- Music/Arts Coordination and Responsibility
- Work with directors and ensembles to coordinate opportunities in the various worship services.
- Oversee various directors and musicians to provide direction, resourcing, and guidance.
- Work with all directors to develop growth (spiritual, quality, numerical) in current groups as well as initiating new ideas for all worship services.
- Serve as the primary Director of Music for the two traditional worship services. The exact duties will be based on the musical skill set of the candidate (i.e., choral conducting, organist or both).
- Work with leaders to incorporate other elements of the arts into worship and church life.
- Assist in developing opportunities for Chapelwood members to grow in the arts.
- Organizational Management Responsibilities
- Manage the musical, administrative, and program staff for all worship services.
- Design, develop, and manage the worship and music ministries budget.
- Directly oversee traditional services with the music team.
QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONALITY TRAITS
- Be worship focused. The candidate must use his/her musical abilities to communicate the Gospel and have the leadership capabilities to work with all worship communities.
- Have a heart for all worship styles. This candidate must demonstrate a sincere appreciation, understanding, even love for styles that differ from his/her own preferred area.
- Have experience leading worship and music in a variety of settings.
- Have experience in leading United Methodist worship in mid to large congregations.
- Demonstrate ability to serve as resource/coach for new musical vision while recognizing and maintaining valuable Chapelwood traditions.
- Have experience working with a variety of personalities in different settings.
- Be an excellent musician with the ability to raise the quality of Chapelwood’s traditional worship and give leadership to other worship services as well.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in music or worship required.
- Masters degree in music or worship preferred.
- Member of national music/worship guilds and/or associations
- Five (5) or more years serving in a local church with experience managing staff teams and worship/music ministries.
Professional and Personal Growth
- Enhances professional and spiritual growth through continuing education opportunities and professional memberships
- Maintains physical, emotional, relational, and spiritual health
- Pursues an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ
- Is a deeply committed Christian, who lives out his/her faith through actions and words
- Has a passion to grow in faith and for others to know Christ
- Is dependable and trustworthy, with the ability to create a safe place for others
- Is teachable
- Is confident in beliefs and self
- Is a member of or is willing to become a member of Chapelwood United Methodist Church, or be supportive of the Wesleyan theological tradition
- Is of high and verifiable moral character
- Enjoys working as a self-starting and motivated member of a dynamic and fast-paced creative team, with the ability to adapt well and handle constant change and challenges
- Is able to build and maintain strong relationships with others
- Fulfills the expectations of the staff as outlined in the Chapelwood UMC “Staff Values Covenant” (expected behaviors) and the “Staff Responsibilities Covenant” (core responsibilities). This includes being able to demonstrate and communicate the vision and mission of the church.
- Values empowering and then working alongside lay core teams
Chapelwood offers a competitive compensation package of salary and excellent benefits (medical, dental, vision, retirement) commensurate with education and work experience. Particulars of compensation will be worked out with the successful candidate upon satisfactory completion of financial and criminal background checks. For clergy affiliated with the Texas Annual Conference, Chapelwood will coordinate benefits with conference.
If you think God might be calling you to this position, contact:
Mr. Bob Lindsey, Business Administrator
Chapelwood United Methodist Church
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Director of MusicOur Savior Lutheran Church
- Livermore, California
- September 25
Student and Children's Worship PastorGrace Point Church
- Bentonville, Arkansas
- September 24
Director of ProductionRock Church
- San Diego, California
- September 23
Contemporary Worship LeaderFirst United Methodist Church
- LaGrange, Georgia
- September 23
Director of Music MinistryLiving Christ Lutheran Church
- Arlington Heights, Illinois
- September 23
Chapelwood United Methodist Church
CHAPELWOOD UNITED METHODIST CHURCH MINISTRY DESCRIPTION Director of Worship and Music Ministries FULL OR PART-TIME: Full-time ACCOUNTABLE TO: Senior Pastor and Executive Pastor FEDERAL LABOR STANDARDS ACT STATUS: Exempt WHO IS CHAPELWOOD? Chapelwood United Methodist Church, founded in 1949, is a 6,500-plus-member church located in the Memorial Villages of Houston, Texas. It is a “community of communities” with two campuses housing five worship communities that host seven weekly worship services, all serving with a common mis More...