The Minister of Music is responsible to the Pastor for assisting the church in planning, conducting, and evaluating a comprehensive music ministry.
The Minister of Music is responsible to the local church body through the church personnel committee for employment requirements and responsibilities.
This position is a salaried full-time position.
The Minister of Music works with the Pastor in planning and directing the music program and ministries of the local church.
The Minister of Music coordinates with all the church staff in planning, scheduling, and directing the music program and ministries of the local church.
- Direct the planning, coordination, operation, and evaluation of a comprehensive Music Ministry.
- Coordinate the Church Music Ministry with the calendar and emphases of the church.
- Work with the Music Committee in determining music ministry goals, organization, leadership, facilities, finances and administrative process.
- Assist the pastor in planning worship services of the church and be responsible for the selection of the music.
- Be aware of weddings and funerals to be held in the church.
- Be available to counsel, arrange and provide music for special projects, ministries, and other church-related activities in cooperation with appropriate individuals or groups.
- Direct music groups and congregational singing.
- Be responsible for enlisting and training leaders for the Church Music Ministry in cooperation with the Music Board.
- Supervise the work of all music leaders in the Music Ministry.
- Work in cooperation with the appropriate persons, including the pastor, the Music Board in selecting, enlisting, training, and advising song leaders, accompanists, and other musicians who serve in church program organizations.
- Coordinate the performance schedules of music groups and individuals in the functions of the church.
- Must be able to work as a disciplined leader in the music department in learning new music, transcribing, organizing, rehearsing, and leading a committed team of musicians both musically and spiritually
- Prepare Media Shout computer for service having the selected songs for each service. (Assuring that the lyrics are correct and in appropriate order)
- Supervise maintenance of and additions to music library and equipment, including music materials, supplies, instruments and other music equipment for use in the church's program.
- Keep informed on current music methods, materials, promotion and administration, utilizing them where appropriate.
- Coordinate the training and use of instrumentalists and vocalists in groups or as individuals.
- In consultation with the Music Board prepare an annual budget to be recommended to the Pastor’s Council. Comply with all established church policies and procedures as well as all applicable federal and state laws.
- On occasions, be available nights and weekends for music ministry events as well as to work with the pastor in making emergency pastoral care visits as needed.
- Serve as Staff Advisor for church committees as assigned by the pastor.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the pastor.
- Assigned practice times for choir & praise and worship.
Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
The position of Minister of Music:
- Requires a high school diploma.
- Requires experience in a music church staff or other music-related position.
- Requires ability to play the keyboard board and read music.
- Requires the ability to listen effectively and to communicate clearly, both orally and in written form.
- Requires exceptional speaking skills and the ability to speak confidently before groups.
- Requires quality leadership skills.
- Requires exceptional administrative skills.
- Requires basic ability to use computer software, such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Requires commitment to biblical Christian principles and teachings both professionally and personally.
- Requires sufficient good health to discharge duties properly.
- Requires ability to walk, stand and sit, sometimes for prolonged periods of time.
- Requires passing criminal background checks.
Please submit application and resume to:
New Bern Church of God
Dr. David Salmons
1230 Colony Drive
New Bern, NC 28562