We are currently seeking a director of worship arts who is a devoted follower of Christ. In accordance to Bethel’s mission and vision, its drama, dance, media and music ministry is a vehicle to usher in the presence of God, prepare the people to receive the word of God, enhance the atmosphere by enabling the Spirit of the Lord to move freely throughout the congregation without distraction, and challenge the church to experience Christ on a personal and corporate level.
With support and guidance from the Steward Board, this position reports to the Senior Pastor at Bethel AME Church.
Expected start date is April 1, 2016, and applications are due by February 21, 2016.
Musical Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Inspire the congregation to actively participate in worship.
2. Prepare music for two weekly Sunday morning services (currently 8AM and 11AM [10 AM summer]).
3. Supervise and assume responsibility for music during Wednesday evening services.
4. Work with worship leaders to provide a balanced musical selection of hymns and contemporary gospel music for worship services.
5. Participate (in person) in weekly senior staff and worship meetings (currently Monday morning).
6. Coordinate and convene the Worship and Arts Council to include the drama, dance, media, music and other arts ministries at Bethel AME.
7. Develop an annual calendar of worship and special events (i.e. Palm – Easter Sunday, Good Friday, Watch Night, church anniversaries, concerts, cantatas, etc.,)
8. Maintain and build current musical repertoire.
9. Conduct weekly rehearsals with musicians and worship team.
10. Travel with the Senior Pastor or ministerial staff to outside engagements, as requested (not to exceed 12 engagements annually w/o additional compensation).
11. Submit and manage annual music ministry budget, maintain musical equipment (organ, pianos, drums, sound support), order new musical equipment as needed.
12. Write and deliver quarterly conference reports.
13. Participate in all senior leadership and staff meetings and retreats.
14. Provide a consistent method of availability for communication with the congregation and staff (i.e. regular office hours).
15. Additional responsibilities as needed and mutually negotiated to enhance overall worship and arts ministry at the church.
1. Manage system for tracking attendance of musicians and fulfill all payroll and reporting requirements developed by the Chief Financial Officer.
2. Coordinate scheduling of soloists, ensembles, instrumentalists and guest musicians.
3. Inform the Senior Pastor or his designee whenever there are concerns, conflicts or questions regarding the music ministry.
1. Must be able to engage the congregation in corporate worship
2. Experience in choral leadership
3. Must be able to teach four part harmony, read music, and have expertise in piano/organ
4. Must have or be willing to obtain a working knowledge of AME liturgy, tradition and polity
Commensurate with experience.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Worship LeaderFaith Community Christian Reformed Church
- Wyckoff, New Jersey
- September 26
Worship DirectorCornwall Church
- Mount Vernon, Washington
- September 26
Director of MusicOur Savior Lutheran Church
- Livermore, California
- September 25
Student and Children's Worship PastorGrace Point Church
- Bentonville, Arkansas
- September 24
Youth / Worship PastorVictory Temple Assembly of God
- Jasper, Indiana
- September 23
Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church (Bethel) was established in 1989 by Rev. Drs. Ray and Gloria White-Hammond. Bethel is a Bible-believing, Holy Spirit-empowered congregation, whose desire is to please Jesus Christ through faithful preaching, teaching, worship, prayer, giving, study and service. As disciples of Jesus Christ, our calling is to address the needs of the hungry, naked, and imprisoned through the development of innovative ministries that make a difference both locally and globally. We strive to identify an More...