Gateway Central Worship Director
APPLY DIRECTLY AT http://www.gatewaychurch.com/employment
The Worship Director is the backbone of the music program at Gateway Church Central—a newly launched campus of Gateway Church in downtown Austin. The campus launch season and environment is dynamic, busy and fun, with a good dose of unpredictability. If
you bring positive, Spirit-filled leadership to a highly visual, fluid production environment, this position might be for you. Responsible for the rehearsal and execution of music at assigned services/events, this person will also establish production processes
and procedures. The Worship Director should be a strong spiritual leader who lives out the mission of the church both inside and outside the church by actively and intentionally disciplining those they lead.
- Gateway Church is their church home. Being “All In” and a commissioned member of the church body is a must. This is not only a job, but also a mission as a member of the body of Christ represented through Gateway Church.
- A spiritual leader during the rehearsal process, all services, and in the arts community at large. This includes praying for and with members of your team and actively seeking confessional community with the people you are leading.
- Sets the example of spiritual leadership within the program.
Requires all members of the team to be active in the mission of the church they are serving. Requires team members to be active in a Life Group and running partner relationships. Exemplifies and models professionalism in the arts and in Christian faith and
- Excellent Musicianship. Must be flexible and able to make changes on the fly since songs and arrangements may need to be changed on the day of performances or during rehearsals. Must be able to arrange music and lead professional level
musicians. Must know the language of music (Nashville number system preferably). Must have good music sensibilities and “get” the Austin music vibe and culture. All performed music is to be well rehearsed and presented in a professional, passionate manner.
Vocals must be memorized.
- Strong Leadership. This is a true leadership position that requires networking & professional standards, mixed with creating and leading a volunteer culture. Finding and leading people in the Austin music scene along with members of the
congregation that are invited into the program through our audition process. The heart is to give people a place to serve with their talents while still holding a level of professionalism that is part of the Arts culture of Gateway Church.
- Adheres to our “Beyond Sunday” value. Gateway’s Arts culture includes intentional bridge building to the arts community of Austin to give a safe, and challenging place for the un-churched to become a unified, multiplying body of Christ
Functions and Tasks
- Must attend weekly team meetings & rehearsals. This includes Weekly Gateway Central Staff Meetings, Gateway All Staff meetings & Tuesday Global arts team meetings at our North Campus. (when scheduled)
- Actively participates in the planning, execution, and review of Gateway services
- Must lead and schedule weekly rehearsals for Sunday morning services
- Must lead an artist Life Group that is part of the overall Arts network at Gateway, and actively participate in a Life Group for his/her own spiritual growth and maturity.
- Must schedule artists and sound technicians according to the scheduling matrix used by the Gateway centralized Arts team. Team casting must not exceed annual/monthly budget obligations, which are overseen by Kenny Green/ the Gateway Central Campus Pastor.
- Must work closely with Gateway North and South vocal director, worship directors, and tech director for all casting since campuses currently share musicians, vocals, and sound techs. Will not be solely responsible for campus casting until the campus
has grown large enough to self sustain.
- Expected to collaborate and participate in two holiday weekends (Good Friday/Easter and Christmas) plus rehearsals each year.
- Write, produce, record, and perform music for creative elements in services/events when scheduled and/or works with other musicians to fulfill this need on a weekly basis.
- Facilitate, participate, and work with the Gateway centralized Arts team to fulfill multiple vocal/band auditions each year.
- Responsible for recruiting, equipping, and spiritually investing in the A/V team that sets up the Audio/Visual equipment for Sundays and throughout the week.
- In conjunction with Gateway Central Campus Pastor, helps to build a powerhouse team of highly committed, spirit-filled Austin artists that will allow Gateway Central to have a self-sustaining, high impact arts program in the very near future. A self-sustaining
program is defined by the following: 1) A healthy band and vocal program of singers/players that meet all standards of musicianship and excellence and are committed to attending and serving at Gateway, being in a regular, weekly Lifegroup, and growing spiritually
2) Able to effectively cast all band, vocals, and technicians needed for weekly services. 3) Personally and publicly exhibits a strong rootedness in the Gateway DNA – gets who we are and fully represents our mission both on and off stage.
- Whether or not the program is self-sustaining will be reviewed quarterly by arts leadership and campus pastor. (would desire a self-sustaining program no more than 18 months after hire date if not sooner)
- Must have strong proficiency in worship leading
- Must have solid computing skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Planning Center Online)
- Preferred 3 yrs. experience leading worship in an artistically advanced performance venue/church.
- Preferred 5 yrs experience pastoring, leading and training staff and/or volunteers.
- College Degree preferred
- Audio/Visual technical experience
Working Conditions and Other information:
- Sunday through Thursday schedule with added responsibilities for holidays and special events as assigned.
About Gateway Church
Gateway Church in beautiful Austin, Texas, is a highly diverse culture, reaching people far from God. Our staff gets to be a part of an amazing movement making a difference in the city and around the globe, living out our values of Come As You Are, Live
Connected, Be Transformed and Change Your World. If you’re a fan of ACL, SXSW, year-round sunshine, great Tex-Mex and not ever wearing a tie again, then you get us. We are a church where no perfect people are allowed and we’ve worked hard to create a non-threatening,
culturally relevant environment that welcomes anyone and everyone who seek out the claims of Christ. For more information about who we are, head to www.gatewaychurch.com where you can experience our services live streamed, listen to podcasts, learn about our
staff and much more.
Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Gateway Church, where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, sex, age, national origin,
disability, pregnancy or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
As a religious institution, it is important that all employees of Gateway Church practice the same beliefs of the church. We therefore reserve the right to exercise this bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ) in determining which applicants are
best suited for positions at our church.
This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and the related BFOQ applies to all policies and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Note: Gateway does not accept resumes from headhunters, placement agencies or other suppliers that have not signed a formal and current agreement with us. Our supplier base is restricted to specified hiring needs. Therefore, any resume received from
an unapproved supplier will be considered unsolicited, and Gateway will not be obligated to pay a referral or placement fee.