First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley, CA
Non-Exempt, Part Time (25-30 hours/week), Benefits
Expected Start Date: January 2016
Application Deadline: January 15, 2016
Maintain all financial records of the Church and its employees, and maintain the accuracy of the
membership database. Work in partnership with staff and volunteers.
• Income: Process contributions and cash receipts from all sources (cash receipts, ACH,
PayPal, stock donations, etc.).
• Payroll: Primary contact for payroll service; prepare input for all employees (salaried and
hourly, full-time and part-time); monitor accuracy of results and correct as needed. Compute
health benefit and pension amounts due; process garnishments as applicable; handle payroll
taxes and government reports as required (e.g., DE 542 reports as needed, identify 1099
• Accounts Payable: Process accounts payable: examine all bills, ensure appropriate approval
prior to payment; prepare expense and monthly benevolence checks for signature; prepare
expense journal entries for approval.
• Communications: Interface with congregants as needed about their pledges and
contributions: Prepare and distribute annual contribution envelopes and contribution
statements by email/US Mail (at least twice per year). Send acknowledgement letters to those
who donate through corporations, and memorial gift acknowledgments to donors and to the
families of the deceased.
• Church Year-End and Tax Support: Prepare end-of-year entries, including depreciation
schedule. Work with auditor to provide requested reports and information, including annual
Workers Compensation computation.
• Church Database: Responsible for integrity of data for membership status and demographic
information; purge records as needed. Prepare membership statistics annually. Monitor
problems/updates in Shelby Community website.
• Department Administration: Supervise volunteers and temporary help as applicable.
Maintain all necessary files. Send files to storage as needed.
Reports to: Controller
• A growing and deepening faith in Jesus Christ.
• Demonstrated experience and/or education in bookkeeping practice, including payroll and
• Demonstrated ability to maintain organizational systems and files.
• Demonstrated ability and experience to respond with tact, discretion, sensitivity regarding
Business Office work, including discretion with confidential information.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities, projects, and competing deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal and people skills, discretion, and ability to work graciously and
collaboratively with staff, ministries, volunteers, and lay people.
First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley, CA
• Proficient knowledge of needed software programs and web-based applications, which may
include: Microsoft Office 365 (Outlook, Excel, Word), and databases i.e., Shelby Systems
church management database currently in use. Willing and able to apply advanced features in
software and applications, and learn new programs and applications as needed.
Schedule: Monday through Friday, 9 am–2:30 pm (including a 30-minute unpaid break).
Other hours are flexible in coordination with manager.
How To Apply:
• Find our application form at http://www.fpcberkeley.org/employment.asp.
• Return this form with your Cover Letter and Resume to Bonnie Rauscher, Human Resources,
at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Bonnie Rauscher, First Presbyterian Church, 2407 Dana St.,
Berkeley, CA 94704.
1st Review Deadline (Priority Deadline): January 15, 2016
Rolling review upon receipt. Early applications are encouraged.
Position will remain open until filled.
Job offer will be contingent on passing a financial and criminal record background check.
LOCAL CANDIDATES PREFERRED
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Team Secretary and Marketing SpecialistConverge Worldwide
- Arlington Hts, Illinois
- October 27
Director of Care Assistant/Celebration of Life CoordinatorCornerstone Fellowship
- Livermore, California
- October 22
Ministry CoordinatorThe Worship Place
- Georgetown, Texas
- October 13
Office AdministratorPark Church
- Tinton Falls, New Jersey
- September 30
Media Director/ Graphic DesignFirst Baptist Church Bloomfield
- Bloomfield, New Mexico
- September 29
First Presbyterian Church
We are a community thoughtfully engaged in our faith, embracing people of all ages, ethnicities, backgrounds, and circumstances. This is a place where questions can be asked, honest reflection is encouraged, creativity is cultivated, and where faith is not a formula, but a life lived. We seek to be engaged locally and around the world, to listen and to learn, to embody justice and compassion, and to share the love of Jesus Christ in tangible ways as we journey together. More...