Explanation of Title
The title and compensation for the position will be determined by the academic qualifications and ministry experience of the candidate. If the candidate has a Master of Divinity and is ordained or ready for ordination by the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC), the candidate will serve as an “Assistant Pastor” in the EPC structure. If the candidate has a lesser Master’s degree (not ordained by the EPC), the candidate's title will be “Director.”
This position has responsibility for providing vision and strategic leadership to Youth Ministry (6th through 12th grades) that is consistent with the church’s overall vision and values. They will provide direct supervision to the Director of Middle School Ministry and seminary interns, and they will direct the High School Ministry.
Ministry is expected to be implemented in such a way that values parents as the primary spiritual influence on their children; adult volunteers are recruited and equipped to shepherd the students; and the youth are encouraged to integrate into the life and ministry of the larger congregation.
CHARACTER: Guiding Relational Principles:
- Knows Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior and seeks to follow him on a daily basis.
- Demonstrates a life yielded to the Holy Spirit, consistent with the authority of Scripture and subject to the accountability of fellow believers.
- Fully supports and abides by Greenwood’s policy on marriage and sexuality.
- Have a genuine love for kids and a passion to see them come to a saving faith in Jesus Christ and mature in their relationship with Him.
- Disciplined in his/her relationship with family, friends and neighbors so that his/her life is marked by moral integrity and accountability.
- Mature in his/her relationships with the staff and elders so that he/she recognizes their role and influence as part of a team.
- Family-focused in his/her relationships at Greenwood so that parents are equipped and empowered to lead their children to follow Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
- Places importance on a relational strategy of evangelism and discipleship.
- Develop and oversee a strategy for educating youth from 6th – 12th grades in the Christian faith with innovative approaches that serve students in each of their developmental stages.
- Develop a team model of ministry that recruits, connects, trains and supervises leaders who are learning to fully own the ministry as their unique place to serve.
- Create a healthy, family-friendly approach to ministry that listens to parents, equips them to spiritually develop their children in the home and engages them with one another through innovative connecting points.
- Develop a strategy and implement appropriate events (i.e., appreciation events, connecting activities, training opportunities, milestone events) that build on the vision of Greenwood for student/family ministry.
- Maintain a healthy, integrated relationship with the rest of the staff in order to contribute to congruency across all layers of ministry at Greenwood.
- Create and oversee annual goals and strategy including budget development and oversight.
- Recruit, oversee and develop Student Ministry staff (including pastoral residents and interns) and volunteers who are responsible for multiple facets of the ministry through regular evaluation and support.
- A Master of Divinity is preferred (along with the ability to be ordained by the EPC). In lieu of a Master of Divinity, a Masters in Youth Ministry or another Christian discipline is required.
- Reformed – Evangelical Theological Tradition.
- A catalytic leader with a clear and proven track record in youth ministry (preferably a minimum of 5 years of experience).
- A genuine love for youth; a winsome and compelling ability to reach and disciple youth; and the ability to relate maturely to parents and adult leaders.
- Knowledge of the landmark study by Christian Smith and Melinda Lundquist Denton as reflected in "Soul Searching: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of American Teenagers" and "Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers is Telling the American Church" by Kenda Creasy Dean. The candidate should be able to articulate some of the implications of this research for youth ministry in the local church.
Description of Greenwood Community Church
Greenwood is a growing, intergenerational congregation of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church established in 1991. We are Evangelical and Reformed in theology and egalitarian in leadership. We are a relationally-drive, Word and Spirit community committed to worship, transformation, and missional living.
We are located in South Denver near the Denver Tech Center, and the congregation draws from the greater South Denver metro area. In November 2014, Doug Brown became the Lead Pastor following the 23-year pastorate of the church’s founding pastor, Tom Melton. Greenwood is a congregation of approximately 1,800 people with an average worship attendance of 900 adults. Both the middle school and high school ministries average about 40 students each on Sunday morning and the overall youth ministry population is about 300.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Youth PastorDeer Creek Church
- Littleton, Colorado
- September 30
Youth MinisterSlingshot Group
- Fremont, California
- September 30
Student Ministries DirectorChrist Church of Orlando
- Orlando, Florida
- September 30
Student PastorFirst Baptist Church Bloomfield
- Bloomfield, New Mexico
- September 29
Student PastorCrosspoint Church
- Saint Louis, Missouri
- September 28