BELONG PASTOR PROFILE & POSITION DESCRIPTION
West Shore Evangelical Free Church
Approved: December 8, 2015
OPPORTUNITY PROFILE: From its humble beginning 40 years ago, to a thriving church of 2,500 people today, West Shore Evangelical Free Church remains committed to impacting the central Pennsylvania city of Mechanicsburg and its surrounding communities with truth and love. Known for its strong commitment to family, the church is truly multigenerational.
Building on the rich heritage of its past, West Shore is currently experiencing significant growth under the leadership of its new Senior Pastor, Trent Thompson. Trent is a young leader who genuinely loves people, communicates God’s truth with passion and clarity, and connects with people of all ages.
From the pulpit to all venues for training and service, a high value is placed on knowing God’s Word and allowing the gospel to shape lives inside and out. There is passion for truth as they look to see God cultivate lives of deep meaning and purpose in people from all walks of life.
West Shore is a unique blend of young families, retirees and everything in between. The high quality children’s and youth ministries bring a significant impact to the church, and are deliberately focused on equipping parents and families to raise young people who love the Lord with all their hearts. In addition, the church is seeing a growing percentage of attendees who do not have an established faith. These folks are seeking an open and welcoming community where they can find answers to their faith questions.
Located on 92 acres, the sprawling West Shore campus contains a 1500-seat worship center, full-size gymnasium, multiple classrooms and community spaces, as well as outdoor walking paths and sports fields. One of the strengths of the church is a highly trusted and strategic staff, most of who have been at the church for more than three years. Executive Pastor, John Nesbitt and Pastor Trent lead this team together as they cultivate a collaborative, creative, trusting and fun environment.
West Shore is a church that is constantly looking to the future. They are strategic in taking the gospel to each new generation in a language they will hear and understand. The church is passionate about connecting young adults and families to Jesus and each other. The role of Belong Pastor has been created to provide intentional leadership in helping all our people find and enjoy a group with whom they can “do life together” as they grow in Christian discipleship. It is a key role for us going forward!
Mechanicsburg is in the heart of Central Pennsylvania in the Cumberland Valley. It is 14 miles west of Harrisburg and sits between the cities of Hershey and Gettysburg. It is a family-friendly community with great schools and affordable housing (average home prices in the 200K-250K range). With four distinct seasons each year, residents enjoy the best of outdoor recreation and local attractions. While the community offers the comforts of a mid-size city, it is only a few hours from the major metropolitan areas of D.C., Philadelphia, Baltimore, and New York. Central Pennsylvania offers the rich heritage of the northeast while sharing the friendliness and authenticity of the mid-west.
West Shore is a congregationally-governed, elder-ruled, and staff-led church. They are affiliated with The Evangelical Free Church of America (www.efca.org) and embrace the EFCA’s Statement of Faith. It is a place where collaboration is valued, creativity is encouraged, and leadership is recognized. West Shore is an ideal place for a “connecting” leader with authentic faith, the right skill set, and a genuine love for people.
West Shore is a thriving church built on a strong heritage. With the addition of a new senior pastor and the subsequent growth this last year, it is looking to build the team of the future. They will thrive in an environment where leadership is valued and cultivated.
To find out more about West Shore Evangelical Free Church, please take time to peruse the church website at www.westshorefree.org to learn more about their doctrinal beliefs, vision, and values and the many other ministries of the church.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Belong Pastor (full-time) will facilitate “Belonging,” one of the 4 central actions of a disciple at West Shore Free, among all members and regular attenders; and preach under the direction and leadership of the Senior Pastor.
CAPABILITIES & CHARACTERISTICS:
- Genuine walk with Christ including spiritual depth and commitment to making disciples.
- A pastor’s heart and love for people.
- A clear call to and love for the local church with a willingness to be “all in” with the mission and vision of the church.
- A contagious passion to enfold others into community along with the ability to discern and guide participants into positive group experiences.
- Excellent “people” skills with the ability to engage all types of personalities with sensitivity and discernment.
- Ability to envision, organize and administer a multi-faceted ministry incorporating many volunteer leaders and participants.
- Excellent communication skills— the ability to preach and teach well.
- Theological training and wisdom (master’s degree preferred).
- A team builder with the ability to collaborate across ministry lines.
- Participate with the other members of the Leadership Team in setting direction and cohesion across the categories of Worship, Belong, Train, Multiply.
- Give strategic leadership to Life Groups, the priority structure for belonging at West Shore Free.
- Build and maintain a healthy, effective Belong ministry team and community.
- Be a member of the preaching team and preach as requested.
- Give strategic leadership and oversight to the Young Adult population at West Shore Free.
- Develop and implement systems that track participation in Life Groups and other small groups.
- Provide ongoing effectiveness training for all Life Group leaders, and create and implement a leadership development program where future leaders are apprenticed.
- In partnership with the Belong Associate, oversee assimilation— from welcoming visitors well through enfolding them into belonging.
- Create systems that reveal individuals whose involvement is decreasing for appropriate follow-up.
- Fulfilling other duties as needed to advance the vision and mission of the church, including leading and serving on ministry teams, teaching, etc.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: The Belong Pastor serves under the general authority of the WSEFC Elder Board and the leadership of the Senior Pastor, while reporting to the Executive Pastor. This leader also serves in partnership with the Belong Associate and works collaboratively with the Leadership and Ministerial Staff Teams, support staff and volunteers. This leader oversees the Pastor of Care & Visitation as well as the Belong Associate.
If you believe this position and WSEFC would be a good fit for you, please send your resume to: Lauren Allen at email@example.com. Please include links to video samples of preaching.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Pastor of Life DevelopmentCrosswinds Church
- Oronoco, Minnesota
- January 19
Next Steps PastorBeach Church
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- January 19
Youth Pastor / DirectorWarren Community Fellowship
- Warren, Oregon
- January 18
Journey Kidz Pastor/DirectorThe Journey Church
- New York, New York
- January 18
Associate/Family PastorNew Life Community Church
- Irmo, South Carolina
- January 18