Ventura Missionary Church
Job Title: Groups Pastor
Reports To: Executive Pastor
Classification: Exempt, Full-Time Position
The Groups Pastor is an essential leader of the Transformational Loop (a copy will be provided upon request) strategy of discipleship for Ventura Missionary Church (VMC) members. The Groups pastor passionately champions Rooted as the launching point for
all group experience at VMC.
Qualifications and Gifts
The Groups Pastor needs to agree with Ventura Missionary Church’s Statement of Faith (http://www.venturamissionary.com/resources) and agree to employment subject to and conditioned upon a lifestyle consistent with that Statement of Faith. This position must
have a philosophy of ministry that is aligned with Scripture, with our Statement of Faith, and with our Core Values and Vision. Gifts that are consistent with this role are: Leadership, Organization or Administration, and Encouragement.
The Heart of Leadership at VMC
- Own your part of the vision – Each leader at VMC must be passionate about their role in the Transformational Loop.
- Develop Teams – Each leader must expand their capacity by developing effective teams to fulfill the vision.
- Create and plan a budget that effectively and efficiently produces results.
- Celebrate results – VMC is excited about the stories of transformation and wants to celebrate them regularly.
- Solve problems – Each leader at VMC works to remove obstacles to growth.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Education: BS/BA degree required; preferably in ministry, theology or organizational leadership.
- 2+ years of experience in building, leading, equipping & motivating teams of people.
- 2+ years of experience in Groups ministry.
- Demonstrated the ability to identify, recruit and develop Groups leaders.
- Communication skills: written, verbal and interpersonal.
- Leading and coordinating ministry initiatives.
- Organizational skills, detail-oriented, with an ability to multi-task.
- Problem solving and conflict resolution techniques.
- Operate in a team environment, often working cross-functionally with other teams.
- Biblical qualifications for pastoral leadership.
Overview of Job Duties
This is a working list and may be adjusted at any time by your supervisor
- Responsible for creating and executing Groups plans consistent with our transformational loop and mission to live and share the transforming love of Jesus.
- Champion Rooted as the initial launching point for all group experience at VMC.
- Recruit and develop high-level volunteers (Directors, Coaches and Leaders) and build accountability for spiritual and personal development of those volunteers.
- Contribute to a dynamic staff with shared vision and ministry goals.
- Implement regular team leader and small group participant recruitment methods and processes, ensuring a healthy small groups growth rate over time.
- Develop an effective communications plan in cooperation with the Communications Department.
- Plan and execute regular small group connection events as a means of bridging the gap between attraction environments and deepening environments (small groups).
- Plan and execute regular small group leader training and recognition events, ensuring the ability to grow a strong small groups ministry.
- Assist in developing message based group materials for ongoing groups, and/or select small group curriculum and other small group study materials and tools.
- Manage department budgets
- Assure that all groups move from Groups to Go to complete the Transformational Loop.
- Oversee departmental administrative needs, programming and policies.
- Provide pastoral care and direction for groups staff and volunteers.
- Attend weekly all-staff meetings.
- Attend weekly department meetings.
Generally Monday –Thursday at office and Sunday worship services on campus, plus some evenings for meetings (need to be able to meet when volunteers are available).