Mars Hill Bible Church in Grandville Michigan is actively seeking a Lead Pastor to join our community.
Since our founding in 1999, Mars Hill Bible Church has been pursuing Jesus and people relentlessly. We exist to be a community that is hungry to discover and live out the way of Jesus, working to put flesh and blood on the resurrection in the world today.
We are devoted to building an engaged, passionate, and spiritually healthy community of people committed to following Jesus. We are a community that is committed to engaging and impacting one another and others as we strive to follow the example set by
Jesus himself. Our ability to grow together as a church community stems from what we hold central - Jesus and our commitment to the biblical narrative.
We believe that God has been writing a story of redemption for the entire world and that Jesus is at the center. God’s story is a story of movement, from creation to new creation. We believe God has given us a role to play in the restoration of our relationship:
with God, with ourselves, with each other and with creation. By the grace of God, this story becomes our story and we perpetuate it by the power of the Holy Spirit, as we serve our local and global community and as we invite others to join with us in the
pursuit of Jesus together. We work to embrace both orthodoxy and orthopraxy as equally important, believing that how we live our lives matters.
We are excited to write a new page in our part of this story as we actively seek a Lead Pastor to join our community. If you are a leader and teacher that is passionate about Jesus and people, loves his church and the work of the church in the world, and
are looking for an opportunity to lead in a highly collaborative and entrepreneurial environment, we invite you to review the position description attached for further details and to submit your cover letter and resume for consideration at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LEAD PASTOR OF MINISTRY
PRIMARY PURPOSE + FUNCTION
Mars Hill seeks to be a transformational presence in the world. The Lead Pastor is charged by the Board of Elders to lead the community in the way of Jesus through teaching and leadership. Mars Hill seeks to lead and govern itself in a manner that is Christ-centered,
collaborative, and inclusive of the skills, gifts and talents found in the community of believers.
QUALIFICATIONS + EXPERIENCE
- High degree of effectiveness in communication, textual scholarship, innovation and creativity in teaching
- Proven track record of working in a multi-cultural and multi-generational ministry setting, committed to working within a community and promoting innovation through collaboration
- Demonstrated wisdom and discernment; spiritual, emotional, cultural and relational maturity
- Effective organizational and administrative skills
- Ability to unite staff and volunteers around a common mission and to appropriately delegate authority and responsibility to achieve that mission
- Ability to engage difficult issues and individuals, courageously shepherding people toward wholeness
- Successful experience in Collaborative Leadership
- Seminary training and an advanced degree in biblical studies or divinity.
- Relentless practice of continued learning and education from multiple sources both current and historical.
- Knowledge of and exposure to a broad range of pastoral care ministries
KNOWLEDGE + COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS
- A narrative theology base and worldview that is aligned with the vision, mission, and directions of Mars Hill
- Able to synthesize and think critically about theological, formational, developmental, and sociological issues
- Demonstrated commitment to helping people explore faith as a journey.
- Demonstrates a deep love and commitment to Christ; commitment to spiritual growth, formation and discipleship
- Deep love of and commitment to the Church and its redemptive work in the world (globally) and in its local communities (Mars Hill/West Michigan)
- High relational skills and an ability to communicate formally and informally with a wide range of people with a pastoral presence.
- A team player and team builder who focuses on the good of the entire organization and can inspire others to work together to achieve organizational excellence, handling conflict with truth and grace.
- Practices a healthy, holistic lifestyle
1. Champion the mission and vision of Mars Hill for all to see.
- Teach the Mars Hill community during Sunday Services 30-36 times a year with theological depth and nuance that provides the basis for a fresh, enlivening and transformational view of scripture
- Work with Elders and Staff to creatively envision and lead Mars Hill towards its mission
- Mentor, guide and encourage staff in order to develop their personal and Mars Hill’s teaching capabilities, competency, quality and capacity
2. Provide leadership and governance to the staff through a collaborative model that is inclusive of the skills, gifts and talents found in the body of believers.
- Value, understand and engage in a wide variety of relationships (complex, nuanced, simple) in a way that demonstrates that all people are heard, appreciated, encouraged, challenged and valued
- Coordinate and integrate activity among the shared governance sub-teams, ministries and Mars Hill community; serve as a link between the staff and the Board of Elders
- Ensure effective program operations and outcomes
- Prepare, in collaboration with Elder Board chair, for Executive Elder and Full Elder meetings
- Help to attract, retain and develop staff
- Facilitate a culture of pastoral care among staff and community
Team Leader: Board of Elders
FLSA Status: Salaried, exempt
Position Status: Full-time
Office Hours: Regular office hours and other scheduled times