First United Methodist Church in downtown Carlsbad, NM is a growing an dynamic church with worship ranging from spirited traditional to casual contemorary. At the contemporary service , the worship is led by the FUMC praise team featuring both acoustic
and electric instruments. The music selections are a mix of contemporary worship songs, familiar choruses and reimagined hymns. The service is supplemented with a state of the art sound and video system that enhances the worship services through the use
of projected lyrics, videos and lighting.
It shall be the duty of the Contemporary Worship Pastor to design, prepare, and lead contemporary worship. Duties shall also include providing guidance and pastoral care to ministry volunteers, and support to the other ministries and activities within the church as a means of enhancing contemporary worship.
The Contemporary Worship Pastor will be answering a ministry call. They will view this job as a service to the Lord, one where they lead people to a place of praise, joy and connection. The Contemporary Worship Pastor will be a leader who creates a worshipful atmosphere in which the people of God are free to encounter our Lord, where the Holy Spirit moves among us, and Jesus is proclaimed King. The Contemporary Worship Pastor sets the tone and shows the congregation the way.
As leader of the praise team, the contemporary worship pastor shall provide an opportunity for volunteers to develop the art of worship through music which will prepare adults and young people for a lifetime of service to the church. The objectives of the praise team, in conjuction with the contemporary worship pastor are as follows:
- Present a Christian witness. This includes living their own life in accordance with Christian values, principles and morals.
- Ensure that the praise team is a spiritual, educational, artistic, and recreational experience for its members.
- Encourage a sense of teamwork and personal responsibility.
- Present well-prepared music for the purpose of creating worshipful experiences within the church.
- Meet with Senior Pastor on a weekly basis to determine the theme for worship and any special components that might be needed.
- Organize and supervise the praise team in support of the contemporary worship service. Plan and conduct rehearsals with the praise team midweek and Sunday mornings.
- In conjunction with the youth pastor, designate and meet with the leaders of the youth praise team for coordination and support. Schedule the youth praise team to lead worship on a regular basis.
- Grow the ministry of the music department either by lessons, camps, concerts, rcitals, etc. Grow the reach of contemporary worship.
- Maintain a schedule of praise team member participation and follow-up with scheduled volunteers on a weekly basis to ensure their presence at rehearsals and on Sunday mornings.
- Evaluate and develop new music for the praise team.
- Recruit and schedule volunteers to operate the computer and sound equipment in the sanctuary for both worship services. Follow-up with scheduled volunteers to ensure presence at practice and on Sunday mornings.
- Attend to the administrative, managerial, and pastoral needs of the praise team. This will include keeping the praise team members informed of upcoming special events and services, evaluating the musical needs of the team and recruiting new members.
- Plan, develop and prepare for special services such as Christmas and Easter.
- Maintain regular office hours.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Provide a semi-annual written report to the Staff Parish Relations Committee detailing: 1) status of current goals in conjuction with the Senior Pastor and/or SPRC; 2) Future plans and goals; 3) any needs or concerns the contemporary worship pastor has with regard to achieving desired goals and or elements of this job description.
Desired Duties and Activities
- Oversee the mixing of music and sound arrangement, including creative and technical elements.
- Identify and maintain sound equipment, computers and software necessary to effectively conduct worship in the sanctuary. When necessary, arrange for, or conduct training on the sound equipment for volunteers.
- Coordinate and provide technical and creative assistance for special events in the church, such as weddings, funerals, concerts, revivals, etc.
- In support of both the traditional and contemporary services, prepare weekly slide presentation containing song lyrics, sermon notes and other visual aids as needed to be used in conjunction with designated worship software.
Skills and Requirements
- Musical knowledge, including the ability to play guitar and/or piano and sing.
- Seasoned in ministry and sound doctrine.
- Emotionally mature. Capable of positively dealing with conflict and helping people work together. A willing heart and the ability to help those around them grow and develop.
- Familiarity with current contemporary worship music.
- Basic understanding of all instrumentation used by the praise team.
- Ability to arrange music.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of sound equipment and the ability to mix sound.
- Ability to utilize software to create and present audiovisual for worship services.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Worship Arts PastorFroot Group
- Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- January 18
Worship PastorFroot Group
- Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
- January 18
Worship PastorNew Community Christian Church
- Salina, Kansas
- January 18
Worship PastorVelocity Church
- South Euclid, Ohio
- January 18
Worship LeaderFaith Community Christian Reformed Church
- Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
- January 18