Position Title: Youth Pastor
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Supervises: Youth staff, volunteers and interns
The youth pastor will encourage the development of faith and spiritual maturity in the youth of First Federated Church, to a spiritually mature, fruitful, disciple of Jesus Christ. The Youth Pastor will primarily minister to four groups: Middle School and
High School students, their parents and adult volunteers. The Youth Pastor is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the youth ministry including, but not limited to: leadership, discipleship, evangelism, worship, administration and special events.
- Recruit, equip and maintain a core of adult and student volunteer leaders through whom the FFC youth ministry is accomplished.
- Develop a spiritual growth path for students.
- Establish outreach strategies to reach unchurched students.
- Develop a vibrant worship ministry, including Bible study and a worship band during youth gatherings.
- Develop effective communication, time, database, and financial management systems.
- Develop and oversee meaningful special events such as: retreats, outreach events, mission trips and service projects.
- Support and encourage parents, providing counsel, resources and ministry opportunities as they disciple their children.
- Work as a member of the overall church staff to coordinate student ministry with the other ministries to help achieve the overall mission of the church.
- Other duties as assigned
Creativity/Innovation: Generates new ideas, challenges the status quo, takes risks, supports change, encourages innovation and solves problems creatively.
Leadership: Leads through change and adversity, makes the tough call when needed, builds consensus when appropriate and encourages others.
Organizational Savvy: Operates with the organization’s formal and informal structures, builds allies and relationships across departments, uses allies to build consensus and create results, is appropriately diplomatic, understands
others’ roles and perspectives, can cast vision for projects and ideas across the organization.
People Development: Provides feedback and coaching, rewards hard work and risk taking, accepts mistakes, takes mentoring role, challenges and develops staff and volunteers.
Results Focused: Targets and achieves results, sets challenging goals, prioritizes tasks, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets team standards and responsibilities. Provides leadership and motivation.
Strategic Thinking/Management: Communicates FFC ministry vision, balances short and long term goals, keeps youth team’s work aligned with overall goals of the church, understands youth culture and plans, works and adjusts as necessary.
All Employee Competencies
Vision and Values: The Youth Pastor will be a man who fulfills the elder qualifications, according to 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9. He will become a member in good standing at FFC and, therefore, embrace and abide by the mission,
initiatives, bylaws, doctrine and policies of FFC.
Interpersonal Skills: Possesses good listening skills, builds healthy relationships, demonstrates flexibility and open-mindedness, negotiates effectively, solicits performance feedback and handles constructive criticism.
Team Work: Meets deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others, values opinions, and helps team to meet goals. Contributes to a team atmosphere of trust, respect and flexibility.
Self-Development: Seeks out and accepts feedback, is a life-long learner, takes on tough assignments to improve skills, keeps knowledge and skills up-to-date, turns mistakes into learning opportunities. Actively involved in an on-going
A minimum of a bachelor’s degree required with an emphasis on ministry-related studies preferred. Four+ years experience in youth ministry and leadership preferred.
Demonstrated leadership, people and team-building skills and basic computer competencies in Word, Excel, Power Point, and database management are required.