Children’s Minister Job Description
Capital City Christian Church, Frankfort, KY
Contact: Steve Pattison (Senior Minister) or Jon Sutphin (Executive Minister)
Church Phone: 502-695-1188; Website: www.capitalcitychristian.org
About Capital City Christian Church
Capital City is a church with an average worship attendance of just about 800. We are located in Frankfort, the capital of Kentucky, a town of about 25,000 (though the town feels larger because so many state services are headquartered here). Although our church is over 50 years old, we are deeply committed to a “missional” approach to ministry. We believe the message must never change, but the methods must be constantly tweaked to stay effectively on mission. Our worship style is contemporary, though we are serious about being multi-generational.
We recognize the extraordinary importance of our children’s and student ministries. We also recognize the serious issues most churches have keeping their students. We don’t want to be one of those places where as students graduate from high school they also graduate from church. So our goal is to connect our kids, not just with our children’s and student ministries, but with God and his church. We believe some of the pieces that will help include building strong families, connecting our students with multiple Christian adults, and engaging them in service.
We also recognize that at our size we will need our children’s minister to be more than a kid magnet. They will need to understand both how to connect kids with Jesus and start them on a path of spiritual health, and how to build a team committed to growing young Jesus followers. They will also need to embrace our vision, mission, and core values so our children’s programs will fit seamlessly into the big picture.
- Capital City is a place where God is building Christ-Driven, 24/7 Christians
- Capital City is growing people who follow Jesus by (1) Worshiping God; (2) Seeking the Lost; (3) Pursuing Spiritual Growth; (4) Building Community; and (5) Showing Compassion
- We often simplify this by emphasizing the discipleship essentials of (1) worship, (2) serve, and (3) grow.
Our Core Values:
- Empowered by God’s Spirit: (1) The Bible is Our Final Authority; (2) We Are Captivated by Grace; (3) We Are a Holy People; (4) We Are Culturally Relevant; (5) We Pursue Excellence in All Things
Final notes: We take our mission and core values very seriously. We program by, budget by, and to some degree hire by mission. Under our Mission, Worshiping and Seeking the Lost are ranked first and second intentionally. We attempt to make our worship multi-sensory and participatory, engaging those with varied “sacred pathways.” We attempt to be innovative in our programming. We value grandparents and grandkids alike in our church family, though we tend to annoy grandparents more often as we try to be effective with grandkids.
About the position
The Children’s Minister will work with Staff and the Children’s Ministry team to design and implement a vibrant and cutting edge children’s ministry for children birth to 5th grade that involves worship, evangelism, discipleship, community, and service. Since the vast majority of Christians make their decision to follow Jesus before they finish elementary school, a powerfully effective children’s ministry is an extremely high priority for Capital City Christian Church.
We also believe that Children’s Ministry can only be strong if it is engaging parents in the process of leading their kids to Jesus and helping them mature as Christians. We would expect that an effective children’s ministry will be working to engage and nurture a partnership with families whenever possible.
The Children’s Minister will work under the direct supervision of both the Senior and Executive Pastors (depending on the issue). They will also work closely with our Student Pastor to ensure a smooth transition into the student ministries and foster intentional spiritual development from birth through graduation.
Required Qualifications: All applicants must...
- have a growing relationship with Christ
- have a strong family life (if married)
- have a deep love for children
- have an engaging personality, effective upfront leading a ministry
- be excellent at recruiting and training leaders within the ministry (both student and adult volunteers)
- have a love for Scripture and be able to communicate the truths of God's word clearly and effectively
- have a passion for reaching students who are doing life without Christ
- be a constant learner and always seeking to grow as a leader
- be a strategic thinker, looking for ways to increase the effectiveness our student ministries
- possess experience in children’s ministry, with an understanding of how a children’s ministry needs to be shaped in a church nearing 1000
- be able to communicate effectively with parents
- be tech savvy, and competent with relevant social media
- be a leader and a self-starter, able to plan and execute events and programs with little oversight
- be teachable and able to work in a team environment
- be able to make decisions in a fast-paced environment that is always changing
- be organized and have administrative skills
- have at least a bachelor’s degree
Desired Qualifications: We prefer that applicants...
- have skills in graphic design
- have skills in video production
Responsibilities: The Children’s Minister will oversee all elements of our children’s ministries, including...
- planning children’s ministry worship, educational, service, and recreational experiences
- teaching in large group settings
- developing curriculum and/or resourcing leaders with curriculum
- planning and executing retreats, camps and mission trips
- facilitating effective small groups
- recruiting and developing small group leaders
- working with parents
- keeping social media portals active and continually engaging children and families
- discipling children, especially looking for ways to engage our students in service
- overseeing ministry teams within the children’s ministry
- working with interns during the summer
- preparing and managing the children’s ministry budget
- developing and overseeing policies and procedures for an effective children’s ministry
- providing counseling to children and their families
- other duties as assigned
This person will also be involved with other ministries as the children’s ministry is part of the larger body. These include attending certain staff meetings and helping to plan and participate in church-wide events.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Director of Children's MinistryScioto Ridge United Methodist Church
- Hilliard, Ohio
- September 28
Associate Children's PastorGT Church
- West Lawn, Pennsylvania
- September 27
Associate Preschool MinisterPinelake Church
- Brandon, Mississippi
- September 26
- San Diego, California
- September 26
Kid's Pastor-Argyle CampusCross Timbers Community Church
- Argyle, Texas
- September 26