St. Luke’s UMC is one of the largest United Methodist Churches in the U.S. with a membership of 6,700. Started by a group of visionary leaders in 1953, St. Luke’s is an open community of Christians gathering to seek, celebrate, serve and share the love
of God for all creation. We envision being transformed by God and transforming the world into a compassionate, just, inclusive, Christ-like community.
With many options for families to worship, serve & engage, St. Luke’s is known in the community as a dynamic, progressive congregation, serving an average of 275 children each week. The mission of the Children’s Ministry team at St. Luke’s is to partner
with parents in raising children who trust God with their hearts and follow Christ with their lives.
Working in a shared ministry model, the Associate Children’s Director would have primary creative control for elementary-aged ministry, while crossing over into other age levels once a month for teaching & relationship building. The ACD would also share
responsibility and leadership for all family ministry related events at the church. This full-time, non-exempt position reports to the Director of Children’s Ministry.
Specific Skills, Gifts, Talents Needed
- Leadership: Energetic and magnetic leadership for the Sunday morning programming, and the ability to work collaboratively with St. Luke’s Children’s Ministry for optimum impact and effectiveness.
- Organizational: Provides on-going programmatic organization to an active ministry throughout the week, including Sundays.
- Communication: Clearly & consistently communicates with families, volunteers, fellow staff members and church at large the ministry goals and vision of Children’s Ministry. Teaches a clear, engaging message with a creative team in children’s
- Relationship builder: Able to connect authentically with others and build relationships of mutual trust and support. Creates a warm and welcoming environment for families and volunteers.
- Initiator: Sees what needs to be done and takes action without waiting for prompting or direction from others; is a “self-starter.”
- Faithful: Actively seeks to grow in personal relationship with God; serves out of a sense of call and is committed to the vision of St. Luke’s.
- Identify, recruit and motivate great teams of small group leaders for Sunday mornings, with primary responsibility for all elementary classrooms; resource those leaders with ongoing support and training.
2. Has creative control to set the direction for what is taught on a weekly basis in elementary environments; builds teams of volunteers who are passionate about presenting the Bible in fun and relevant ways for children.
3. As a member of the Children's Ministry Leadership Team, supports the team in the planning, coordinating, and executing of special events for families. Assumes ownership of the quality, success and ongoing improvement of these major events that we implement,
including but not limited to VBS, Live Nativity, Fall Festival & Easter Eggstravaganza.
4. Work with Children’s Director to create intentional strategies to connect and support parents of elementary-aged children.
5. Respond compassionately to children and families; intentionally seek to build relationships with others; remain accessible and approachable by kids no matter how busy it gets sometimes!
6. Model a Christ-filled life, maintaining appropriate boundaries with work and others, caring for self, and growing in faith and in profession.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Ministry or 2 years experience leading in Children’s Ministry/equivalent experience
- Record of leading events/programs with at least 75+ kids in attendance and 20+ leaders/volunteers
- Familiarity with “Orange” philosophy and curriculum is a plus, but not required
Qualified candidates should submit their resume to: Heather Hilbert, Director of Children’s Ministry, at email@example.com or to her attention at St. Luke’s UMC 100 W. 86th St. Indianapolis, IN 46260