The Children’s Pastor champions and leads the Children’s Ministry Transformational Loop. The Children’s Pastor will ensure that the gathering, groups and go components of the transformational loop are operational and effective through teams in all areas
of children’s ministry.
Qualifications and Gifts
The Children’s Pastor needs to agree with Ventura Missionary Church’s Statement of Faith and agree to employment subject to and conditioned upon a lifestyle consistent with that Statement of Faith. This position must have a philosophy of ministry that is
aligned with Scripture, with our Statement of Faith, and with our Core Values and Vision. Gifts that are consistent with this role are: Leadership, Organization or Administration, and Encouragement.
The Heart of Leadership at VMC
- Own your part of the vision – Each leader at VMC must be passionate about their role in the Transformational Loop.
- Develop Teams – Each leader must expand their capacity by developing effective teams to fulfill the vision.
- Create and plan and budget that effectively and efficiently produces results.
- Celebrate results – VMC is excited about the stories of transformation and wants to celebrate them regularly.
- Solve problems – Each leader at VMC works to remove obstacles to growth.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Education: BS/BA degree required; preferably in elementary education and/or children’s ministry
- 2+ years of experience in building, leading, equipping & motivating teams of people
- 2+ years of experience in elementary ministry or education
- Have an understanding of a child’s emotional, physical and spiritual development
- Demonstrated ability to understand and relate to elementary children and their families
- Recruiting, motivating and equipping volunteer leaders
- Communication skills: written, verbal and interpersonal
- Leading and coordinating ministry initiatives
- Organizational skills, detail-oriented, with an ability to multi-task
- Problem solving and conflict resolution techniques
- Operate in a team environment, often working cross-functionally with other teams
- Biblical qualifications for pastoral leadership
Generally Monday – Thursday at office and Sunday worship services on campus, plus some evenings for meetings (need to be able to meet when volunteers are available).
Overview of Job Duties
This is a working list and may be adjusted at any time by your supervisor
- Responsible for creating and executing Children’s Ministry plans consistent with our transformational loop and mission to live and share the transforming love of Jesus.
- Oversee Elementary Department (Grades 2-5)
- Oversee Early Childhood Director
- Recruit and develop high-level volunteers (Directors and Coaches) and build accountability for spiritual and personal development of those volunteers
- Recruit, train, develop and empower volunteers to be small group leaders so they are prepared to disciple kids and to model a vibrant, authentic personal relationship with Jesus
- Assure that the children’s ministry participates in GO activities in the church and community.
- Contribute to a dynamic staff with shared vision and ministry goals
- Develop a consistent ministry to parents and families of children in the Elementary program
- Lead Vacation Bible School
- Manage department budgets
- Oversee departmental administrative needs, programming and policies
- Provide pastoral care and direction for elementary kids and their parents
- Attend weekly all-staff meetings
- Attend weekly department meetings