Worship Pastor Job Description
Bethel’s worship has come a long way from 4-verse hymns sung out of hymnals 7 years ago, but we are near the ceiling of where we can go with part-time and volunteer worship leaders. The lid on our growth as a worship ministry has not been the preferences of our congregation, but the limitations of our leadership, and it’s time for us to invest in a full-time worship pastor devoted to growing and leading our worship ministry.
As we go through the process of re-aligning all of our ministries with our vision, we know we need a strong, passionate leader who can take Bethel’s worship to the highest level. The potential here is incredible. We’re looking for a young man who can seize and wring every ounce of potential out of this opportunity.
We’re looking for…
- A pastor first. Someone after God’s own heart, who sees his role as a pastor first and a musician second. Someone who has a heart to disciple people, worship God, and reach the lost.
- A high-level leader who can grab hold of the vision of the church, align the worship ministry under the vision, and unite people around the vision God has for Bethel.
- Not just a gifted musician and vocalist, but someone who God has gifted to lead people into worship. A gifted leader who can lead change to create a culture of passionate, high-impact worship with a focus on relevant music, creative expression, and leading our people to encounter the presence of God
- A dynamic personality who loves to have fun with the people he works with, and creates a fun and exciting environment for his people.
- A gifted communicator who is able to teach occasionally as the need arises, especially as campuses increase
- Someone who is able to recruit and develop musicians in order to raise the quality of the band, and continually develop leaders and musicians.
- Someone who is humble and hungry to learn, who will take advantage of opportunities to grow and develop, and will be a student of his focus areas, constantly striving to grow as an individual and improve his ministry.
- Someone who is excited by the idea of dreaming big and working hard in an ever-changing, fast-growing, dynamic and upbeat church environment.
- Gifted instrumentally and vocally
- Strong in leadership, assertive, able to manage personalities and lead confidently toward a clear vision
- Responsible and confident in administrative ability – will need to coordinate multiple bands on a weekly basis and operate worship planning software
- Professional and hard-working – mentally and physically tough enough to overcome the challenges of ministry and perform consistently at a high level
- Humble and Hungry, teachable spirit – this is going to be an EXCELLENT learning opportunity for a young pastor, and we’re looking for someone who will take full advantage of opportunities for growth
- Someone who understands his role in relation to the bigger vision of the church, and is willing to act within the guardrails of that vision and the executive leadership of the church
Potential Additional Responsibilities:
- Communications – This role will likely include overseeing all things communication in the church, including the improvement of church bulletins, presentation slides, event graphics, email communications, social media strategy, website management, keeping the church management system up to date, etc.
- Volunteer Management and Appreciation – This is an area we need drastic improvement in as a church, and so part of the responsibilities of connecting with, appreciating, equipping, and managing volunteers will fall to this role
- Assimilation - Assist Administrative Pastor in the Assimilation Process as needed
- Be flexible and teachable to fill gaps in the staff structure where needed
Snapshot of Bethel
Bethel is a rural, multi-site church about 25 minutes west of suburban Indianapolis. With a growing average attendance of around 350, the dominant demographic in the congregation is 25-35 year olds with families. God has chosen to grow Bethel over the last 7 years as we strive to do whatever it takes to reach the lost in Putnam County. With the hire of an Executive Pastor in August, Bethel is now working to lay the foundation for the future with the realignment of staff, ministries, and processes throughout the church.
Bethel’s original campus is a 130-year old church building out on a country crossroads in Fillmore, IN, but on Easter 2015, we launched a portable campus in the nearby college town of Greencastle, IN, the home of DePauw University. The launching of a second campus in a prominent location has opened doors Bethel has never encountered before, and made it clear that Bethel is poised to transform radically in the coming years.
Bethel is led by a group of pastors who know the hopelessness of being lost, firsthand. We lead by example in creating a culture of authenticity and freedom in Christ by avoiding the temptation to appear perfect. We all live in a fallen world and fight our sinful nature on a daily basis. Staff included. But we hope Bethel is a place where imperfect people can feel loved and accepted, and hear about Jesus.
As a church culture, Bethel works hard to maintain an outward focus in its people, and seeks to grow by reaching the lost. We want to make decisions based on what will help lost people find Jesus, not based on what will make religious people comfortable.
We’re working to align everything we do as a church under purpose of helping lost people connect with Jesus and helping them join the work of the gospel. We want to remove every barrier from making that happen. We ascribe strongly to the belief statement, “Found people find people. Saved people serve people. Growing people change. You can’t do life alone, and you can’t out-give God.” We love to have fun together, we love to work hard, and we love to see the lost, broken, down and out come to know Jesus.
Bethel’s ultimate goal is to see the redemption of the Church in rural America. We want to see a healthy church in every community, because when God revives the Church, we will also see the redemption of individual lives, families, and communities. As God continues to move through Bethel, we plan to grow by planting more campuses in rural communities. Rural community is a niche market that is often forgotten by church planters and high level leaders, but the fields are ripe for the harvest! Rural communities are the next frontier for multi-site church, and we want to blaze the trail!
Bethel would also love to influence a national trend of the transformation of churches from older, ineffective churches to thriving church bodies, largely through the process of church mergers. Our hope is to see rural churches stop fighting to survive in isolation, and instead catch a Kingdom-minded vision to be the body of Christ together as we strive to reach the lost in our communities.
In our individual churches, we want to do ministry with excellence and not settle for “good enough.” We want to be invested in our communities by giving of our money, our time, and our sweat, so that people might argue with us philosophically, but they can never argue with the impact God is making on our communities through the obedience of His people. We want to make an impact regionally and nationally by building up and sending out high-level leaders who have the ability to lead change and make an impact wherever they go.
In all of these strategies for fulfilling the Great Commission, our most important job through it all is to point to Christ as the creator and sustainer of His church – the reason for everything we do.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Worship LeaderFirst United Methodist Church of Slidell
- Slidell, Louisiana
- December 2
Worship Leader/DirectorDetroit Church
- Midtown Detroit, Michigan
- December 2
Modern Service Worship Leader (231711)Private Profile
- USA South , Texas
- December 2
Worship PastorChurch of the Way
- Auburn, Georgia
- December 1
Worship Ministry DirectorArvada Church of God
- Arvada, Colorado
- December 1
Bethel Baptist Church
Snapshot of Bethel
Bethel is a rural, multi-site church about 25 minutes west of suburban Indianapolis. With a growing average attendance of around 350, the dominant demographic in the congregation is 25-35 year olds with families. God has chosen to grow Bethel over the last 7 years as we strive to do whatever it takes to reach the lost in Putnam County. With the hire of an Executive Pastor in August, Bethel is now working to lay the foundation for the future with the realignment of staff, ministries, and processes t More...