Internship: Student Ministry (1 year, 10-15 hours a week, stipend)
Report: Student Ministry Associate
This internship is designed to give a general introduction to ministering to Middle and High School students in a large church context (1000+). The needs of students, constructs of student ministry, and implementation there of will be explored.
Upon successful completion of this internship, the intern will have demonstrated (1) A basic understanding of student spiritual, emotional, and social development. (2) Capacity to make God and scripture come alive in the cultural context of students through
mentoring and teaching. (3) An ability to plan and execute weekly programming that meets measured goals for a specific Student Ministry strategy. (4) An ability to plan and execute a week long program such as a camp, retreat, or mission trip. (5) Recruiting,
training and developing volunteers who invest and change students’ lives.
This internship is a 10-15 hours of hands on ministry, plus 5 additional hours of self directed study per week for one year. Interns are required to attend staff meetings (Mondays at 10:30-11:30am) and meet weekly with the Student Ministry Associate as part
of their ministry hours. They will keep a descriptive log of all hours, which will include a written goal of their time.
Joiner, R., & Shefchunas, T. (2012). Lead Small. Cumming, GA: Orange.
Joiner, R. (2014). Creating a Lead Small Culture: Make your church a place where kids belong. Cumming, GA: Orange, a division of The reThink Group.
Powell, K., & Griffin, B. (2011). Sticky faith: Practical ideas to nurture long-term faith in teenagers (Youth worker ed.). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
McKee, J., & McKee, T. (2012). The New Breed: Understanding and equipping the 21st century volunteer (2nd ed.). Loveland, Colo.: Group [Publishing].
Stanley, A., & Jones, L. (2006). Communicating for a Change. Sisters, Or.: Multnomah.
Dean, K. (2010). Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers is Telling the American Church. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Joiner, R., & Ivy, K. (2015). It's Just a Phase, So Don't Miss It: Why every life stage of a kid matters, and at least 13 things your church should do about it. Cumming, GA: Orange Books.
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. (2001). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.
ASSIGNMENTS AND PROJECTS:
- Completion of all reading assignments and written book summaries.
- Take on the role of Small Group Leader within a High School Serving Team, including once a week group meetings and once a week serving alongside and directing High School students through serving others.
- Take on the role of Small Group Leader within a Middle School Sunday Group
- Help facilitate our SU Night’s Middle School weekly program (Wednesday’s 6:00-8:00pm)
- Plan, organize, and direct Serve 850, a week long afternoon mission trip for both Middle School and High School students (June 6th-10th)
- Plan, organize and direct for Middle School Summer Camp (June 15th-19th)
- Engaging in the support, encouragement and development of Small Group Leaders through one-on-one monthly meetings and quarterly training huddles.
- Recruiting 5 volunteers and beginning their training process within Student Ministry.
Intern will have a 6- and 12-month review with Student Ministry Associate and Pastor of Birth-College Ministry to assess progress of learning and implementation.
If you are interested and have any questions please contact David Hughes (Student Ministry Associate) at email@example.com. If you are applying for the position send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.