GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
To build young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to the Children and Youth ministry (in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach) while serving as a spiritual leader and role model.
Note: The YML Position will start out as a part time role and develop into a full time role based on the needs of the Youth Ministry.
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIP AND SUPERVISION
The Director of the Children and Youth Ministries reports to the Senior Pastor for spiritual and ministry guidance. The Senior Pastor, in cooperation with the church board, provides an annual performance evaluation.
THE PRIMARY TASK
There shall be a comprehensive approach to the development and implementation of the children and youth ministry. This approach is based on the following principles:
- -love the children and youth where they are
- -encourage the children and youth in developing their relationship to God
- -provide them with opportunities for nurture and growth
- -challenge them to respond to God’s call to serve in their communities and world
- Be an advocate for the children and youth and educate the congregation about their hopes, concerns and needs in the local church and community.
- Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced children and youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
- Be aware of resources for developing the children and youth ministry programming and participate in continuing education events and training opportunities.
- Recruit and train volunteers who will work as a team and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
- Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to the children and youth ministries.
- Coordinate Sunday school curriculum for the children and youth and recruit teachers. Also, provide fun, safe child care during services for infants-5 years.
- Keep records of the children and youth participation and manage the ministry budget.
- Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (email, website, bulletin, newsletter, bulletin board, etc.). Ensure communication with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole.
- Work in concert with the gifts and talents of other staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality.
- Ensure that the Child Protection Policy is observed in all children and youth ministry settings.
QUALIFICATIONS AND APTITUDES:
- Must be a resident of Phoenix, Arizona (metropolitan area)
- Must embrace Christian discipline and theology.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field is desired. Professional Certification in Youth Ministry is desired.
- Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a children and youth ministry.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills.
- Must posses a proven ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
- Must have a desire to grow the children and youth program from the ground level.
Range $ 19,243 - $47,497/yr. Median $ 33,672/yr. @ 40 hours/week
Recommendation: 20 hrs. /week @ $8-10/hr.