PRIMARY OBJECTIVES OF POSITION
To manage the physical plant to support the ministries of the church and the needs of tenants.
First Baptist Church is located in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. Our church community of about 400 is a diverse group of people living in the city of Minneapolis and surrounding suburbs. The staff consists of five ministry leaders, two full-time administrative
staff, two full-time facilities staff, and three part-time custodial staff. Staff and church members are dedicated to using all of the church’s resources to help people know and grow in their relationship with God through worship, community and outreach.
The church buildings are approximately 87,000 square feet, including the church sanctuary, a three-story classroom/office building, and an atrium-style entry that connects the sanctuary and classroom building. Different sections of the buildings were built
in the 1880s, 1920s, and 1980s. Two long-term tenants occupy approximately one-quarter of the classroom building during the week.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- To agree with the statement of faith and discipleship process of First Baptist Church.
- To be a role model to other staff and lay volunteers.
Physical Plant Maintenance
- Complete repair projects such as replacing electrical receptacles/fixtures, plumbing repair/replacement, small carpentry projects, repair/replacement of interior or exterior door locks, masonry/plaster repair, and refinishing/painting.
- Acquire and maintain maintenance equipment (such as snow blowers, sidewalk sweepers, power tools, hand tools).
- Ensure building security systems are functional (smoke detectors, electronic and mechanical door locks, fire prevention systems).
- Maintain boiler system. Ensure required daily, weekly, and seasonal maintenance and inspections are completed.
- Maintain AC system. Ensure required seasonal maintenance and inspections are completed.
- Ensure compliance with building and fire code requirements.
- Seasonally, work with Custodial Services to:
- Remove snow and de-ice sidewalks
- Wash exterior windows
- As needed to support Custodial Services, work alongside custodial staff to clean the building and to set up rooms for regular events/services and special events.
- Observe building conditions and take necessary actions to maintain or repair situations, performing repairs or contacting the proper repair company.
- Schedule maintenance work to ensure minimal disruption to tenants and regular church activities.
- Develop and maintain relationships with service/repair vendors to complete large-scale projects and routine inspections and maintenance of electrical, mechanical, elevator, fire/smoke detection, commercial kitchen, plumbing, AC and heating systems.
- Order supplies needed to maintain electrical, mechanical, plumbing, AC and heating systems.
- Manage bids and bid-taking process for work done by outside vendors (such as room refurbishment, electrical/mechanical system upgrades, painting, flooring, landscaping).
- Maintain the church’s parking areas.
- Work with Business Manager to propose and plan for upkeep and replacement of wall and floor coverings, mechanical/electrical systems, doors and windows, and other larger-scale projects.
- Serve as first-line facility emergency contact 24x7.
- Schedule service of church bus, maintain bus maintenance records, and keep bus fueled.
- Other duties as assigned by Business Manager.
- Personal and project management skills.
- Ability to maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work activities.
- High school diploma and five or more years of building maintenance experience.
- Must be knowledgeable and have some proficiency in the building trades: commercial carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, flooring, drywall, HVAC and other trades.
- Experience repairing or replacing electrical and mechanical system components, completing small carpentry projects, and painting and refinishing rooms.
- Experience operating all types of automatic and power cleaning and maintenance equipment.
- Hold a valid driver’s license and regularly drive a motor vehicle.
- Knowledge of body fluid and bio-hazard cleanup.
- Ability to meet physical demands required of position, including ability to: Walk or stand for long periods of time. Bend, twist, squat, crawl and climb ladders in the course of duties. Lift 50-pound to waist and shoulder height multiple times. Use tools
or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
- Experience operating a steam boiler.
- Desired: current Minnesota State 2nd class C boilers license, ability to diagnose and repair HVAC and heating equipment, ability to set up portable and stationary AV equipment.
To apply: Submit resume with cover letter to email@example.com.