St. Michael’s Episcopal Church
Title: Youth Minister
Classification: Full Time
Benefits: Health Insurance, Pension, Continuing Education
Description: Build young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to youth ministry (in the areas of group building, worship, education, discipleship, mission and outreach) while serving as a spiritual leader and role model.
- Love youth where they are
- Encourage youth in developing their relationship to God
- Provide them with opportunities for nurture and growth
- Challenge them to respond to God’s call to serve in their community and the world
- Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth
- Plan, develop and implement all aspects of a weekly youth group gathering (The EDGE = 6th – 12th graders) + a biweekly gathering of older elementary age (LEDGES = 3rd – 5th graders)
- Coordinate and oversee the Acolyte Program
- Be aware of resources for developing the youth ministry programming and participate in continuing education events and training opportunities in the Diocese of Texas
- Meet with the rector on a weekly basis
- Attend weekly Staff Meetings
- Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills
- Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios are followed.
- Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries
- Coordinate Sunday School curriculum for youth (grades 6 – 12) and recruit teachers in partnership with the Children’s Education Minister
- Coordinate and teach the Youth Confirmation classes in partnership with the clergy and provide leadership for confirmands and parents beyond the classroom.
- Develop Youth Outreach Programs and an annual Mission Trip
- Keep records of youth participation and mange the youth ministry budget
- Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (email, website, e-newletter, bulletin boards, phone calls, social media, etc.) with church staff and leadership, youth and their parents plus the congregation
- Make yourself available to youth in a variety of ways (i.e. meeting for lunch or coffee, attendance at extracurricular activities, support during times of crisis, etc.)
- Work in concert with the gifts and talents of other staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality
- Ensure that the Safeguarding God’s Children policies are observed in all youth ministry settings
- Well-grounded and robust Christian faith, with the ability to articulate it to young people
- A demonstrated commitment to working with children, youth and parents
- Outstanding leadership and relationship skills for educating, inspiring and empowering young people, teachers, volunteers, parents and reaching out to newcomers
- Bachelor’s degree; a degree in Youth Ministry, Christian Education or Certificate of Youth Ministry is especially welcomed
- At least 2 years’ work experience in youth ministry, children’s and family ministry and/or Christian Education and Formation
- High integrity, sound judgment in challenging situations, ability to make quick decisions, grace under pressure and a good sense of humor
- Employment is contingent on successful completion of background check
- Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and a list of references
- Provide responses to the three items below, addressing relevant knowledge, skills and abilities (400 words or less per item):
1) Why do you feel called to youth ministry?
2) What experience do you have for planning, developing and implementing youth programming?
3) What gifts and talents do you bring for coordinating with youth, families and church staff?
- Please provide this complete information to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Student PastorCrosspoint Church
- Saint Louis, Missouri
- September 28
Youth DirectorPleasant Home Community Church
- Gresham, Oregon
- September 28
English-Youth PastorMIchiana Chinese Christian Church
- Mishawaka, Indiana
- September 28
Youth Pastor/DirectorThe Bridge
- Silver Spring, Maryland
- September 27
Youth PastorThe Crossing
- Chesterfield, Missouri
- September 27