EVANGEL BAPTIST CHURCH
SENIOR PASTOR PROFILE and JOB DESCRIPTION
FYI - All applicants
MUST apply using this website!
No phone calls or email to church staff please!
Thank you in advance for cooperating!
The below profile and associated job responsibilities represent the senior pastor candidate we as a pastoral search team and church have been actively praying for. In it, we highlight character qualities, personality traits, theological convictions, roles,
responsibilities, and expectations for the senior pastor of Evangel Baptist Church in Lewistown, Pennsylvania.
Senior Pastor Profile:
The senior pastor will model the purpose of Evangel Baptist Church to glorify God by supporting and promoting the mission and focus of the church by providing Bible based guidance and education. He will be the primary leader, teacher, and visionary and will
have a broad responsibility for the spiritual welfare, growth and life of the church in all areas including discipleship, evangelism, and equipping the congregation for service. The senior pastor is to embody the essence of a shepherd and servant leader.
In addition, the senior pastor will:
- Be a born again Christian who is a mature follower in Christ having a vital walk with the Lord as evidenced by faithfulness, passion, and an appreciation for God’s grace.
- Meet the Biblical requirements as stated in 1Timothy 3, Titus 1:6-9, and 1Peter 5:1-4.
- Have a gift and a passion for preaching the eternal, inerrant, and unalterable Word of God as revealed in the Old and New Testaments.
- Practice personal one-on-one evangelism and discipleship and be committed to equipping others to do the same.
- Have the ability to function independently and collaboratively in order to carry out the vision statement of Evangel Baptist Church.
- Be an authentic communicator, easy to understand, and down-to-earth.
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to share with others in a large group setting and one-on-one from his heart and life.
- Be willing to be humble enough to accept input from those he is leading, as well as be appropriately transparent with the many, and intimately transparent with the few (accountability).
- Display a track record of personal management, leadership, and professionalism and have developed a personal model for Gospel-driven productivity.
- Have a B.A./B.S. or greater Theological Degree from an accredited Bible college, university, or seminary.
- Have a minimum of five years of experience in a pastoral or comparable role.
- Be actively seeking to lead his family into a relationship with Christ. The senior pastor’s family should be supportive of God’s call on his life.
- Be willing to relocate his family to reside within the community of the church (Mifflin County Pennsylvania).
Senior Pastor Job Description:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties and responsibilities of the senior pastor will be carried out in the context of the staff team and ministry leaders. Our intent is that the senior pastor will give leadership and oversight and delegate responsibility as appropriate.
These essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following: Ministry of the Word, Prayer, Leadership, Evangelism & Discipleship, Shepherding & Teaching, and Pastoral Care. The senior pastor will work in conjunction with the
elders, church staff, and ministry leaders in the implementation of the mission and vision of the church.
Ministry of the Word
The senior pastor will be the primary preacher for the church and will teach God’s Word faithfully, according to sound doctrine. The senior pastor should be committed to an exposition of Holy Scripture that is relevant, authentic and personally applicable.
The senior pastor will:
- Cultivate and lead a teaching team to assist in planning, preparation and evaluation of preaching.
- Communicate preaching series to ministry staff and volunteers in order to coordinate their respective responsibilities.
- Plan preaching for all special services (Christmas, Easter, etc.)
- Supervise the administration of the ordinances of believer’s baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
- Be a clear and articulate speaker who can be readily understood by all.
The senior pastor will set the pace in Kingdom-focused prayer by spending time praying daily for the ministry of the church, and by providing discipleship to others in prayer at the individual, family, and group levels.
The senior pastor will develop a rich worship life in the church, planning and leading the order of worship in collaboration with ministry staff and volunteers. The lead pastor will cultivate and demonstrate a heart for proclaiming the Gospel in Lewistown,
Pennsylvania, the surrounding communities, and the world.
The senior pastor will lead and hold accountable all church staff and will also be a member of the elder team. The senior pastor will:
- Conduct regular and frequent meetings with the church staff, both individually and jointly, and work to assist and equip the ministry staff in achieving and exceeding ministry objectives as defined by the elder team.
- Nurture the mental, spiritual and emotional health of the church staff
- In serving as a member of the elder team, the senior pastor will:
a. Collaborate with the other elders to establish measurable objectives for all church staff in keeping with the vision of the church.
b. Collaborate with the other elders to coordinate and execute an annual church strategy, annual goals, and review of ministry objectives.
c. The senior pastor is accountable to the elder team and is considered the first amongst equals.
Evangelism and Discipleship
The senior pastor will demonstrate a lifestyle of personal discipleship, and oversee its application in congregational life. The senior pastor will:
- Support and evaluate existing outreach ministries and encourage creativity in the development of new outreach ministries.
- Encourage and motivate the congregation to invite guests to various ministry events as well as regular Sunday Worship Services.
Shepherding and Teaching
The senior pastor will lead the elders in nurturing and administering the overall shepherding ministry of the church. The senior pastor will:
- Partner with the elders and pastoral staff in their shepherding efforts.
- Monitor various ministry growth and leadership
- Develop means and methods to:
a. Equip and train new and existing leaders.
b. Cultivate the development of spiritual gifts within the body.
- Engage in personal and professional growth by being mentored and coached on a consistent basis.
- Be willing to attend conferences or trainings to grow both educationally and spiritually.
The senior pastor will oversee and be involved in pastoral care of individuals, couples, families, and groups as needed. The senior pastor will:
- Develop and oversee a pastoral care ministry within Evangel Baptist Church that seeks to nurture the mental, spiritual and emotional health of individuals within the church. This may include, but is not limited to, personal or family counseling or the
recommendation to seek outside assistance.
- Oversee the coordination of marriages and funerals as needed.
Education and Theological Requirements
The senior pastor should possess a B.A./B.S. or greater Theological Degree from an accredited Bible college, university, or seminary. The senior pastor must be committed to supporting and promoting the mission and focus of Evangel Baptist Church by providing
Bible based guidance and education as well as adhering to both our church doctrinal statement and mission statement.
Finally, the senior pastor must love Jesus faithfully and passionately, out of the outpouring of God’s sustaining grace evidenced in scripture, creation, and the testimony of the Church and individual members throughout history.