Trinity Wesleyan Church
Senior Pastor Job Description
Reports to: Trinity Wesleyan Church Board and the District Superintendent of the West Michigan District of the Wesleyan Denomination.
Directly Supervises: Pastor of Prayer & Senior Adults, Student & Administrative Pastor, Director of Children’s Ministries and Director of Worship
Trinity Wesleyan Church (TWC) is committed to the life-giving Christian faith that is guided by God’s word, the Bible. The life of the church is Christ-centered, because the Bible’s message of being made new is realized through a personal relationship with
Jesus Christ. And TWC believes that its people can be enabled to live a life of joy, hope, and love, in concert with God’s character, by the transforming power of God’s Spirit working in us.
The Senior Pastor is the leader of the TWC commitment. Specifically, the Senior Pastor will be instrumental in guiding TWC in its attainment of the following God-ordained values:
- Value a deep desire to reach Jackson for Christ, and beyond
- Value deep relationships in community
- Value God’s Word / strong preaching
- Value children’s ministry and youth ministry
- Value disciple-making that results in active evangelism
Essential Functions Include:
VISION AND LEADERSHIP
- Prayerfully discern, develop and promote vision for the future direction of the church in an effort to seek and save the lost and reach people for the Kingdom of Christ.
- Oversee the general ministry of the church to ensure the vision of the church is being accomplished.
- Provide leadership to staff in the design and implementation of all church ministries by effectively delegating to others the tasks for which they have the skills to accomplish.
PREACHING AND TEACHING
- Spend significant time in study and prayer to develop sermons for worship services.
- Establish relevant teaching and ministry priorities, in accordance with the Wesleyan doctrine and a balanced study of God’s Word.
- Collaborate with leaders who plan worship services to ensure the service elements complement the sermon.
EVANGELIZING, EQUIPPING AND CARING
- Personally model a culture of evangelism through a desire to teach the Word of God effectively until lost souls are saved, sanctified wholly, and maturing in their Christian walk by involving them in a reaching, teaching, and soul-winning ministry.
- Attract, mentor and guide current and emerging leaders to grow the church – spiritually and relationally.
- Demonstrate a heart and evidence of a clear priority to reach the Jackson community and beyond through the commitment and support of both local and global missions and outreach.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A deep, mature, and developed Christian faith that embraces and supports Wesleyan core beliefs.
- Strongly gifted speaker that gives leadership through Bible teaching.
- Broad abilities to reach and attract individuals from many walks of life; generational, cultural, racial, economically, and otherwise diverse.
- A strong love for people with the ability to navigate complex relationships through counseling and other dialogue in ways people feel heard, appreciated, challenged and valued.
- Effective, approachable and strong communicator that fosters open dialogue in both a one-on-one atmosphere as well as a team environment using multiple communication channels.
- Enthusiastic about equipping and challenging individuals to excellence while creating a culture where others can identify their spiritual gifts and opportunities to serve the Lord from within the TWC community and beyond.
- Quality education, ordained pastoral credentials and pastoral experience, as well as further potential, to lead Trinity Wesleyan Church into the next season of its God directed mission and vision.