Big Woods Bible Church (BWBC) (a southern Baptist church), located in rural, central Pennsylvania, seeks an associate pastor who will partner with our Senior Pastor and Elders to implement the church mission and vision freeing the Senior Pastor to focus
on his main responsibility of teaching and preaching God’s Word. The Associate Pastor at BWBC will oversee the general administration and operational effectiveness of the church, lead the development of new programs that are aligned with the established goals
of BWBC, help to maximize the effectiveness of existing programs, and provide leadership for ministry leaders and staff. BWBC’s web site provides more information about the church and its ministries.
- Support the Senior Pastor and elders in the accomplishment of the church’s mission through evaluation of ministry effectiveness, discernment, decision making, planning and overall direction of church staff.
- Lead ministry leaders in establishing clearly defined expectations which support the overall mission.
- Train and mentor ministry leaders for developing and delivering the ministries.
- Oversee church operations, support staff, and volunteers.
- Build a solid staff through development of policies and procedures, overseeing development of job descriptions, participating in hiring, proposing appropriate staff adjustments, and resolving conflicts.
- Facilitate the annual strategic planning process with the Senior Pastor, elders and treasurer, including evaluation of ministry performance; review of mission, vision, and core values; development of key objectives; and establishment of long-term goals
and performance measures.
- Collaboratively develop with the elders and treasurer the annual financial plans that fund the accomplishment of the strategic plan and meet critical financial objectives.
- Champion the communication and collaboration between all ministry and support areas to promote healthy, long-term growth of the church.
- Establish and manage church communication processes with leadership, ministries, church body, and community.
- Alleviate administrative tasks from the Senior Pastor, freeing him to focus primarily on preaching, vision-casting, and pastoral care.
- Attend elders’ meetings and weekly staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Meets the Biblical qualifications for leadership according to 1 Tim. 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4
- Serve as an elder of BWBC and must agree with BWBC’s statement of faith and philosophy of ministry
- As a member of BWBC, participate in faithful fellowship with the church family
- Maintain healthy and productive relationships with all members of the body, especially with the Senior Pastor, elders, church staff, and ministry leaders
- Guard himself in his conduct to keep himself above reproach, not giving any opportunity for an unhealthy relationship to develop
- Maintain a small group of accountability partners with whom he meets regularly
- Be committed to servant leadership
- Possess administrative and organizational leadership skills
- Be proficient in the use of computers/technology
- Have experience working with a variety of diverse groups of people
- Know both large and small budget management
- Demonstrate self-discipline, self-motivation, and results-oriented production
- Demonstrate both verbal communication and teaming skills
- Be highly adaptable and resilient, with the ability to navigate well through change
Education and Experience
This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred) with pastoral and/or ministry experience as a senior leader, preferably with experience operating in a managerial role.