Urban Children’s Pastor & Community Developer
A Brief History of our Church
Orangewood Church is a Church of the Nazarene. We are an active part of the denomination and have had a long tradition of vibrant Children’s Ministries over the 60+ years that we have been in existence. As is true with many churches, we felt the effect of the economic down turn and have gone through multiple staffing cutbacks over the last 10 years. For the past 8 years we have had multiple part-time and volunteer positions that have led our Children’s Ministry department, although it has always been a goal and dream to return to full-time pastoral leadership for our kids and families.
Currently, we are excited that we are experiencing growth at Orangewood. Our trends continue to point to growth spiritually and numerically, with people experiencing salvation, getting baptized, and engaging in worship, spiritual growth groups, and serving opportunities. Through the generosity of our members we again have the funds necessary to move our part-time Children’s Ministry leadership position to full-time. These are good days at Orangewood Church!
There is amazing opportunity ahead for us in Children’s Ministry. We value children and the family as a whole. As an investment in our kids and their families we are currently remodeling our choir rehearsal room into a brand-new, state-of-the-art kids worship theater. We also have recently began using Orange curriculum, and are moving toward integrating the Orange strategy into our Children’s and Youth Ministries as we develop a family ministry focus. The new OC Children’s Pastor will join our existing Family Ministries Team.
Outreach and Community Development
Orangewood Church is located in an urban environment. In fact, our church is located in the most ethnically diverse zip code in the Phoenix valley, which represents just over 3.2 million people! In response to the growing needs of our neighboring communities we developed a new 501c3 called LifeBridge Community Alliance (LCA). Under the name LifeBridge our church does extensive development work in the community. The new Children’s Pastor will represent LCA in the community and in partnership with our local schools, developing programming that would help meet needs of our community as well as engage families in opportunities to connect with our church.
Some Basic Info About our Church.
- Orangewood is a church of roughly 500 people.
- Our current weekly attendance in our Sunday worship service hovers right around 275-300 adults
- We have about 75 kids consistently engaged in Children’s Ministry programs
- Children’s Ministry Weekly Programs
- Sunday School (Sun 9am-10am)
- Studio 252 Children’s Church (Sun 10:30am-Noon)
- LifeBridge Kid’s Programming
- Kids Breakfast Club (Sun 9:30am-10:15am)
- Kids and their parents can come receive a free hot breakfast prepared by volunteers and church members. *Not a Children’s Min program
- Orangewood Christian Academy (OCA)
- OCA is our fully-licensed pre-school on campus that shares space with our Early Ed Children’s Ministry programs. Currently we have about 100 children enrolled in OCA with a daily average attendance of approximately 80 pre-school children.
Pastor of Families and Spiritual Formation
The Children’s Pastor position exists as part of the Family Ministry Team to give pastoral leadership to all children birth through sixth grade, provide resources for their families, and to develop engaging and relevant ministry programs for both Orangewood Church children and those in the community.
Duties and responsibilities
- Serve on the Family Ministry Team to establish vision, goals, strategies and objectives for effective Children’s Ministry, and promote integration a culture of intergenerational ministry within the OC community.
- Develop and oversee programs in alignment with the OC Discipleship Process (Worship-Grow-Serve) for children ages birth-6th grade.
- Work in partnership with local elementary schools to develop consistent and ongoing programs to assist and resource the families in our neighborhood. Expressed needs from the schools in our community include (but are not limited to) a program to give students a positive environment after school hours on a daily basis.
- Ensure quality care is provided in our infant and toddler rooms as defined by OCA and DHS standards and protocols. Formulate policies and procedures accordingly.
- Be visible and available during program time to greet teachers, parents and children. Also responsible to provide someone to assist visitors in finding classrooms.
- Oversee paid and volunteer department staff, including coordination of scheduling. Maintain a list of substitute teachers who can be called on when needed.
- Recruit, train and evaluate teachers and helpers, providing all required background checks on paid and volunteer staff. At least once each quarter observe and evaluate each classroom to note problem areas and needs for improvement. Pre-K rooms should be evaluated according to current OCA and DHS guidelines.
- Conduct departmental planning meetings. Maintain consistent and effective communication with all team members.
- Encourage regular, systematic outreach, visitation and personal contact with children and their parents within the department.
- Handle emergencies by being available to assist with needs and problems. Serve as an all-around troubleshooter by identifying and anticipating potential problems so that preventative steps can be planned.
- Submit an annual budget request each year.
- Ensure rooms are adequately stocked with supplies, equipment, curriculum, etc. as needed.
- Facilitate elementary age registration and necessary details for OC kids to participate in AZ District summer camp programs.
- Facilitate elementary age baptism classes and necessary details for children to participate in baptisms as scheduled (usually once each quarter).
The OC Children’s Pastor must have the following qualifications.
- A Bachelor’s level degree. (Classes in Biblical Studies, Theology, or Ministry preferred)
- Knowledge of the Bible and the ability to effectively teach kids.
- Administrative skills to plan in advance, schedule, manage a department budget, delegate responsibility and manage people.
- Proficiency in basic computer skills, and ability to learn new programs. Programs required: Microsoft Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, Planning Center and ProPresenter.
- Visionary communication to recruit volunteers.
- The OC Children’s Pastor should have a lifestyle and character that are in full harmony with the OC Employee Code of Conduct and the Manual of the Church of the Nazarene.
- Commitment to personal soul-care and spiritual formation.
- Self-motivation and strong work ethic.
- Cooperative, flexible, “whatever it takes” attitude.
- Commitment to intergeneration ministry.
- Fun, energetic, positive attitude. Nurturing demeanor for younger children.
- Innovative and Creative
Work Hours Expectations
The demands of ministry often require non-traditional working environments and hours. The OC Children’s Pastor should have a commitment to regularly work 40+ hours per week. These hours will include ministry program times and off-site responsibilities such as summer camps. Extra accommodations should be made by the OC Children’s Pastor during heavy ministry seasons to continue to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
The OC Children’s Pastor should be able to physically perform the following duties:
- Sitting and standing for extended periods of time (e.g. meetings, teaching, travel, etc.).
- Perform light manual labor as needed (e.g. Program set up, room clean up, etc.)
- Safely operate a vehicle.
- Engage in recreation at a minimal level is preferred.
If you are interested in applying for the position please email the following items to Demetrius Marsh at email@example.com. Thank you.
- A Cover Letter
- Examples of previous ministry programs and/or portfolio
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Children's Ministry Director/PastorCornwall Church
- Bellingham, Washington
- October 20
Children's Ministry DirectorChrist Community Church
- West Chester, Pennsylvania
- October 20
Pastor of Children's MinistryChandler Christian Church
- Chandler, Arizona
- October 20
Pastor of Children's MinistriesWhittier Area Community Church
- Whittier, California
- October 20
Children's PastorArlington Assembly
- Arlington, Washington
- October 19
Orangewood Church of the Nazarene
Orangewood started over 60 years ago with 13 people on the front porch of a little house just a few blocks away. They had no money, no land, no building...just a passion to reach and transform their neighborhood with the great news of Jesus Christ. A lot has changed over the years, but one thing has remained - that passion. More...