Minister for Families and Youth
First Christian Church is a Bible-believing congregation from the Restoration Movement that is connected with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ.)
We believe that the family is the primary discipler of their children. It is the church’s calling to come alongside the parents and equip them to bring the love of Jesus Christ into the center of their life and home.
A primary purpose of the Minister for Families and Youth will be to empower, and encourage children age birth to early adulthood and their parents to be disciples, as well as equipping other adults in the congregation to serve as spiritual mentors of the
next generation. Any candidate interested in this position should have a well thought out philosophy of family ministry and what that looks like on a practical level.
The candidate must possess:
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited institution, possibly seminary (Exceptions made for significant life experience)
- A commitment to Restoration Movement principles and the Christian Church’s doctrine and practices
- Passion and enthusiasm in working with youth and their families and youth leaders
- Desire/ability to shepherd young people into salvation, spiritual maturity and a lifetime of ministry
- The ability to communicate well and maturely via social media, e-mail, phone and in person
- Integrity, and an ongoing commitment to personal spiritual growth
- Willing to connect with local schools
- A positive spirit and team mentality
- An obvious love for the Lord, His Word, and people
- A plan or vision of what they see in their role
- Must live in or be willing to relocate into Pulaski County
- Must successfully pass a background check
- Must meet the biblical qualifications of an Elder
Partners with the Christian Education Committee; reports directly to the senior minister, with input and mentoring from the Elders.
Duties and Responsibilities
Goals/Programs: Work with youth/church leaders to a) establish outcome goals for children, youth, and families in the church b) design weekly programming to achieve those outcomes c) execute the plan with excellence
- Special Events: Coordinate and execute special events, retreats, camps and mission trips that call young people into salvation, spiritual maturity and/or a lifetime of Christian service/missions
- Leadership Development: Engage and train a) families to be spiritual leaders in their homes b) members of the church to be children/youth leaders and c) members of the youth group to be student leaders
- Outreach & Ministry: Develop outreach strategies and events that connect unchurched children/youth and their families to the youth group/church, and which utilize gifts/talents for ministry (e.g. family mission trips)
- Relationships: Build strong and appropriate personal relationships with children/youth and families in both the church and community, and work with the Senior Pastor to provide counseling as needed
- Administration: Demonstrate organization, preparation and accountability in the areas of planning, budget, curriculum, communication/advertising, monthly reports and newsletter articles
- Areas of Focus: This position will be expected to give strong ministerial vision by equipping the leadership of the children and youth ministries. This minister will be the primary leader of the youth.
- Staff roles: Fulfill as-needed duties of a ministerial staff member, in and out of specific focus areas, such as: preaching and teaching opportunities, hospital visitation, evangelistic visitation, Vacation Bible School, community events,
and any other duties given by the Senior Minister.
Criteria for Performance Evaluation
Performance will be measured by the Senior Minister: in a manner in which agreed-upon goals are achieved; the fulfillment of the duties and responsibilities listed in this job description; the quality of relationships with staff, church leaders, church members,
guests and the community as a whole.