With support and accountability from the lay elders and church council, the person serving as full-time lead pastor will be centered in Scripture, committed to prayer and led by the Spirit as demonstrated not only through weekly messages but permeating all
aspects of ministry. This individual will share in the responsibility to cast vision as we “Join with Christ in Building His Church.” As lead pastor, this person is responsible for staff oversight to meet both current and future ministry needs.
The individual called to minister at St. John will reflect the scriptural qualifications of an elder listed below and found in 1 Tim. 3:1-2, 4:12; 2 Timothy 2:24-25; and Titus 1:6-9. Additionally, this person should agree with the Statement of Faith to which
we adhere as a congregation.
- A man above reproach
- The husband of one wife
- Father of obedient children
- Self-controlled and disciplined
- Not quarrelsome or resentful
- Not a lover of wine (alcohol) and money
- A teacher of the Word of God in truth and gentleness, holding firm to the message of the Gospel, encouraging the saints by sound doctrine and example, refuting those who harmfully oppose the faith, and a man of prayer
- Must have a good testimony among those outside the church
- Pastoral experience leading a multi-staff church
- Active in ministry for at least 10 years to include 3 or more years of preaching
- Master of Theology and/or Divinity (or equivalent education/experience)
- Teach and preach God’s word in purity, power and prayer (2 Tim. 4:1-5)
- Plan sermon direction, delivering 32-38 messages each year with the balance shared by ministry leaders, other lay speakers from within the body, and for mentoring next generation preachers
- Assure regular observance of baptism, communion, and parent/child dedication
- Give oversight to ceremonies including marriages, funerals, etc.
- Stimulate Christian lifestyle and discipleship by example, instruction, and counseling (2 Tim. 2:14-16) as we seek to fulfill the Great Commission (Matt. 28:19-20)
- Provide direct, one on one accountability and encouragement to the ministry leaders reporting to this position through weekly/monthly meetings as well as yearly evaluations
- Develop and effectively execute annual ministry plan in coordination with other ministry staff
- Partner with other ministry leaders to provide care visits to those in need of prayer support (Matt. 25:34-40; Gal. 6:2; James 1:27)
- Shepherd the flock in servanthood and integrity (1 Tim. 4:12)
For more information, please visit us online at www.stjohnmennonite.org/job-opportunity.