Director of Music
Avon United Methodist Church is seeking a Director of Music to oversee the music ministry for our congregation. Avon, Ohio is a growing community with great potential for growth in our congregation. We have one worship service which is blended with mostly traditional elements. We are seeking the right candidate to lead our congregation in how we worship God through music on Sunday morning.
Purpose of this Position
The Director of Music is tasked with overseeing the planning, preparation and presentation of music at the worship service to help the Avon UMC congregation draw closer to Jesus Christ through the music ministry.
Hours and Time Off
- On average, 15 Hours per week.
- Up to two weeks of vacation per year, including up to two Sundays.
- Personal commitment to Jesus Christ and the ability to express this faith through music so that others are empowered to worship.
- Commitment to the vision and mission of Avon UMC.
- Positive attitude and able to build relationships with a multi-generational and diverse congregation.
- A Christ like spirit of acceptance, warmth and conviction. This includes the need for a consistent devotional life.
- Familiarity with and appreciation for the United Methodist history and theology.
Priorities, Responsibilities and Duties:
- Play organ and piano for all music on Sunday morning and special services throughout the year. Proficiency on piano and organ required.
- Prepare, direct and play for the choir for Sunday morning worship service and choir rehearsals.
- Choir season: starting 1st Sunday of September (with rehearsals beginning 3-4 weeks prior) and running until mid-June. Choir sings twice per month.
- Prepare and direct any choral/special music for extra services which are scheduled throughout the year, other than regular Sunday morning worship (i.e., not limited to Ash Wednesday, Thanksgiving Eve, 2 Christmas Eve, etc.)
- Direct rehearsals and monthly Sunday morning performance of Bell Choir.
- Purchase choir music and oversee the care and filing of Church-owned music.
- Select music appropriate to the Church seasons and sermon series, including, but not limited to:
- Monthly Praise Music, Monthly prayer song, Hymns, Anthem’s and special music.
- Prepare and direct Cantatas for Easter and/or Christmas.
- Coordinate/arrange for Summer Special Music during the summer.
- (Vocal and/or instrumental) 2-4 times monthly
- Be available as practical to provide music for weddings and funerals.
- Recruit new choir and bell choir members.
- Arrange for maintenance and care of the organ, pianos and bells.
- Attend Staff meetings and Worship Committee meetings to coordinate with church staff and lay leadership. Communicate with pastor and membership regarding all programs, activities and goals.
- Be available to participate in the music needed for the children ministries.
- Coordinate musical leadership of the worship service when on vacation.
- Other duties related to the position as assigned by the Pastor.
The Director of Music reports directly to the Pastor and is subject to oversight by the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and three references to Pastor Micah Holland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Worship LeaderSt. Paul M.B. Church
- Olive Branch, Mississippi
- December 9
Director of Worship Music ArtsIrvington Presbyterian Church
- Fremont, California
- December 9
Worship Pastor (Campus Ministry) - Part TimeJourney Church
- Denver, North Carolina
- December 9
PastorOne God Ministry
- Fairfax, Virginia
- December 8
Music DirectorRural Shade Baptist Church
- Cleveland, Texas
- December 8