The Elementary Pastor will oversee all facets of Elementary ministry (1st-6th grade) at Crossroads Church. This includes contributing to and embracing the purpose and direction set by the Children’s Pastor and then motivating all team
members towards the fulfillment of that vision. This person must provide strong leadership, dynamic and clear communication, next-level creativity, excellent people skills, and the ability to manage a high performing team with grace. He or she must embody
the Impact Kids ministry culture by being Christ-centered, fun, innovative, relational, and exemplify first class hospitality.
Impact Kids Ministry Purpose
Partnering with parents to launch the next generation into a lifelong journey with Jesus that impacts the world.
Essential Job Functions
1. Embody Crossroads Christian Church’s mission, vision, values and staff expectations.
2. Provide Passionate Leadership for Elementary Ministry
- Actively contribute to Impact Kids Ministry yearly ministry planning process.
- Regularly recruit, develop, coach and motivate team members towards our purpose, values and ministry excellence.
- Provide visible and active servant leadership in all classrooms.
- Prepare for and execute excellent teaching in the large-group setting.
- Evaluate classrooms on the children’s and team members’ ministry experience and coach to excellence.
- Provide next-level creative ideas to generate momentum and excite kids and parents to return with their friends.
- Provide responsible management of the ministry budget.
3. Develop our Early Childhood Team Members
- Work with Children’s Pastor and Team Member Director to provide creative solutions for ongoing recruiting needs.
- Ensure that our database accurately reflects all team member data.
- Ensure that all team members are equipped and empowered for successful ministry. This includes consistently communicating the purpose, values, procedures, and safety requirements.
- Ensure that all team members are part of a strong team led not only for ministry excellence, but also for genuine community.
- Intentionally create periodic team gatherings for the purpose of training, envisioning, and community building.
4. Provide Oversight of all Elementary Ministry Services and Events
- Ensure that our guests (parents, children, team members) have an excellent, positive experience that causes them to look forward to their return and to tell others about us.
- Ensure that all classrooms are staffed for safe and successful ministry. This means that each classroom has teams scheduled to serve at each service and that our ratios (children to team member) are better than minimum levels.
- Ensure that all parent/child/team member concerns, safety & security issues, and equipment & facility problems are dealt with proactively and completely.
- Ensure that all feedback on the experience, both encouraging and constructive, is communicated to all appropriate parties. Actively contribute ideas for continuous improvement to the Children’s Pastor.
- Ensure that all attendance data is recorded and reported on time.
5. Invest in Parent Partnerships
- Champion our children’s spiritual development (Grades 1 – Grade 6)
- Shepherd team members to meet the spiritual needs of children as needed.
- Offer spiritual guidance to parents and families as needed.
- Perform baptisms, baby dedications, and counseling of those as needed.
- Provide solid theological foundation to questions from both children and adults.
The above summary of duties represents the major tasks and duties. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Therefore, this Pastor may perform other related tasks under the direction of the Children’s Pastor.
Core Competency Requirements
1. Catalytic Leader: Models servant leadership, empowers and positions others for growth
- Initiates and affects meaningful change
- Casts compelling vision, both interpersonally and in group settings
- Generates and accelerates organizational momentum leading to excellent performance
- Delivers results based on metrics
- Identifies, develops and empowers leaders and fosters a culture of leadership development
- Models servant leadership and appropriate collaboration in decision-making
2. Owner/Operator: Takes full responsibility for the successful growth and execution of the experience in his/her area of ministry.
- Ensures a consistent standard of excellence in the experience of his/her area of ministry
- Demonstrates entrepreneurial independence, a spirit of collaboration, humility and a willingness to apply input from others
- Sets the tone for his/her ministry team by having a “game on” winning attitude
- Coaches his/her ministry team to know what a win looks like
- Encourages volunteer teams and empowers ministry leaders to own the experience
- Evaluates the ministry experience with a discerning eye for the big picture and for the details
- Troubleshoots and repairs anything that would distract from our standard of excellence
3. Creative Thinker: Approaches a situation, problem or opportunity in new and innovative ways, takes a risk in implementing new approaches and fosters creativity among others.
- Seeks to improve programs, approaches or services
- Thinks outside of the box and is not bound by current thinking
- Challenges assumptions that may be limiting progress
- Offers new and different options to solve problems or meet needs
- Persuades others to consider new ideas
- Takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas
- Establishes and maintains an environment where new ideas are encouraged
- Has an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things
4. Recruiter: Connects an individual with meaningful ministry opportunities that enable him/her to use his/her gifts, talents and passions.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and alignment with Crossroads Church DNA and values
- Is aware of the specific serving opportunities that exist within a ministry and can articulate the core competencies and key behaviors of those opportunities
- Engages others in a winsome, inviting and engaging manner
- Listens effectively to determine another’s gifts, skills and passions
- Discerns potential ministry opportunities that fit the individuals gifts, skills and passions
- Presents a compelling vision for a ministry opportunity, clearly articulating the ways in which that opportunity advances God’s kingdom
- Makes a compelling ask to the potential volunteer to join his/her ministry team
- Follows up on the ask and provides information, support and prayer throughout the decision making process
- Connects the individual with ministry team or researches/recommends other potential ministry opportunities for the individual
5. Shepherd: Provides personalized spiritual guidance towards becoming more like Jesus
- Builds meaningful relationships with others
- Perceives where others are at and recommends next steps for growth
- Provides devotional leadership, counsel and meaningful spiritual encouragement
- Challenges and confronts individuals in a loving and non-judgmental manner
- Highlights and celebrates individuals’ growth
- Leads others toward increased levels of engagement
- Demonstrates full support of Crossroads Church leadership
6. Communicator: Demonstrates a passion to communicate God’s truth in a variety of ways
- Informs and inspires for kingdom growth and impact in all written and spoken media (informally, formally, personally, and publicly)
- Articulates Crossroads’ Impact Kids purpose and core values effectively in a variety of contexts
- Recognizes and leverages communication technology in ways that engage and inspire in relevant ways
Education and Experience
This position requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in biblical studies, ministry, church leadership, or similar, or the equivalent in vocational ministry experience. We seek someone with 3-5 years’ experience in building and leading a staff or volunteer