Apply here: http://www.vanderbloemen.com/jobs/sanctuary-covenant-church-director-of-worship-creative-arts
The Sanctuary Covenant Church is an urban, multi-ethnic, multiplying movement, reconciling people to God and one another. They seek to grow as a multigenerational community of Christ-followers, demonstrating God’s love from North Minneapolis, throughout
the city, extending into the whole world.
Sanctuary is strategically planted in North Minneapolis, an area of the state that is at a tipping point of investment and innovation. It is the traditional heart of the African-American population in the Twin Cities, and is an urban area that has been under-invested
and under-resourced. North Minneapolis has been hit hard by the foreclosure crisis over the last few years and has become a community in transition. Like many urban centers, North Minneapolis has seen its share of crime and poverty, but there is also a spirit
of innovation sweeping across this community as church, government, and community leaders see potential in the people of the community. The church desires to capitalize on such opportunities in their outreach efforts around the community.
Sanctuary Covenant Church seeks a Director of Worship & Creative Arts that will work in partnership with the Senior Pastor to provide vision, direction and leadership for the role of worship and artistic expression in the life of The Sanctuary Covenant Church.
A college degree in Fine Arts, Music, or an equivalent is required for this position, although three to five years of extensive experience may be substituted for the educational requirement.
The ideal candidate for this position will first and foremost have a love for Jesus as a motivator for ministry. They will be a strong and driven leader with a “can do” attitude and with an eager desire to ‘get the job done.’ This individual will embrace
change, and always seek avenues and methods for continuous improvement in their own strive for excellence.
The prospective Director of Worship & Creative Arts will additionally meet the following essential skills and requirements for the position:
- Proven experience in church worship ministry.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in discipleship, as both a receiver and a provider.
- Proficient at voice and an accompanying instrument (e.g., piano or guitar), with ability to lead a Sunday morning worship experience when necessary.
- A continuing student of worship and the role of artistic expression in Christian life (i.e., familiar with current thinking and practice).
- Familiarity and comfort with a variety of musical and liturgical styles—particularly for an urban context.
- Commitment to utilizing a variety of artistic expressions in the life of the church.
- Basic familiarity with sound, video, lighting, and other aspects of production.
- Ability to bring out the best in team members.
- Ability to manage conflict.
- Ability to organize and communicate clearly and consistently.
- Ability to handle multiple projects effectively.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills across ethnic, gender and generational lines.
- Characteristics making for teamwork (humility, discretion, perseverance, patience, a sense of humor and genuine caring attitude).
Located in the southeast central part of the state on the Mississippi River, Minneapolis is the largest city in Minnesota, with close proximity to its “twin city” of St. Paul. It is a center of industry and commerce serving a large agricultural region.
Fifteen Fortune 500 companies are headquartered in the Minneapolis–St. Paul metropolitan area, which is also home to the Ninth Federal Reserve Bank. The Twin Cities are recognized for their wide array of cultural attractions, and Minneapolis is home to many
fine museums, including the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, the Walker Center, and the Frederick Weisman Art Museum at the University of Minnesota's Minneapolis campus. It is also popularly known for hosting the 2008 Republican National Convention. Minneapolis
is the 46th largest city in the United States with approximately 400,000 residents. The primary racial composition of the city according to the 2010 U.S. Census noted the population as: Caucasian (63.8%), African American (18.6%), and Hispanic (10.5%). It
is a highly multi-racial city, with both immigrants and nationals representative of nations such as China, Russia, Germany, and parts of the African sub continent. The perfect blend of natural beauty and urban sophistication of Minnesota makes it an appealing
place to live.