The Wesleyan Church of Hamburg (wchamburg.org) in Hamburg, New York is prayerfully seeking its next Senior Pastor, and will be given the opportunity to build on an excellent foundation and to energetically inspire a fresh, vibrant vision for this healthy,
active, and loving church. As a flagship church in the Wesleyan denomination, the Wesleyan Church of Hamburg (founded in 1957) is a thriving multisite congregation with weekly attendance of 1800-2000 located in the charming town of Hamburg, New York. The
church desires to call a pastor who will join with the staff and congregation; one who will cast a fresh, compelling vision for the next chapter in the story of The Wesleyan Church of Hamburg and then to lead them as the vision becomes reality.
The ideal candidate for WCH is an experienced, gifted communicator who conveys a passion for Jesus and God’s Word, and who inspires others to go deeper in their faith journey. With a preference for an expository approach to preaching, the right candidate
for WCH will be genuine and transparent, communicating in a clear, practical way that connects with people of different backgrounds and varying degrees of biblical knowledge and experience striving to understand the nuances of Western New York living. This
pastor will be well known as a person of integrity, who exhibits a humble confidence toward spiritual matters, who readily turns to the Scripture as the source of truth, and gracefully engages others when addressing tough questions that arise from current
events or cultural realities.
This leader will possess a contagious energy that celebrates and builds on the strong foundation in the church, maximizing the potential and empowering others. The right Senior Pastor for WCH is an emotionally mature person whom others experience as kind,
transparent and compelling. The ideal candidate will be a warm, relational, servant-hearted leader who is well prepared to lead this amazing church into the future. Engaging and inviting, the ideal Senior Pastor will naturally want to invite people to engage
by drawing them together to worship, pray, listen, discuss and encourage one another.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
- Significant experience in quality preaching/teaching/communicating in a larger church context, with a preference for expository preaching as the predominant style.
- M.Div. or a graduate theological degree or higher is required, preferably one that includes the study of Greek and Hebrew languages and Biblical hermeneutics.
- A minimum of 10 years ministry experience with multiple years of senior leadership experience. This could take the form of a senior pastor, a campus pastor, or an associate pastor on a large staff with significant autonomy and leadership responsibility.
- Either an ordained minister in the Wesleyan Church or a willingness to transfer ordination to the Wesleyan Church, having a strong alignment with Wesleyan theology and a willingness to accept the membership covenants of the Wesleyan Church including abstaining
from alcohol and tobacco.
- A genuine passion and experience in missional outreach as well as international missions.
- A proven relational team leader. Experience in a multi-staff setting including leadership of paid staff and unpaid volunteers.
If you feel you meet the preferred qualifications and would like to request a full Opportunity Profile and further details, please contact Mr. Jamie Sipsma at firstname.lastname@example.org.