Position Title: Interim Director of Christian Formation
Position Summary: A downtown church with a deep commitment to mission, education, and traditional worship, Pine Street Presbyterian Church is seeking a full-time Interim Director of Christian Formation who will lead and direct a comprehensive
ministry of Christian education and spiritual formation for all ages. Important qualifications include a vibrant faith in Christ, a love of the mainline church, openness to theological diversity, administrative gifts, a love for people, and the ability to
inspire and motivate volunteers. Certification as a Christian Educator is desired, but not required.
Position Objective: The Interim Director of Christian Formation will develop and direct: 1) a ministry of Christian education and spiritual formation for children, youth, and adults; 2) a ministry of congregational fellowship. The Interim
Director of Christian Formation shall work collegially with the staff, under the supervision of the Pastor/Head of Staff who, representing the authority of the Session, is responsible for the direction of this ministry.
Pre-requisites: This position does not require ordination. A bachelor’s degree is required at a minimum. Certification in Christian education is desired, but not required.
Skills Needed: Important skills for this position include: 1) faith in Jesus Christ and a love of his church; 2) a commitment to a vision of inclusivity that welcomes all people into the life and work of the church without regard to race,
gender, culture, or sexual orientation; 3) openness to theological and cultural diversity consistent with the Reformed and mainline Christian traditions; 4) passion, energy, and the ability to motivate people and to work closely with volunteers; 5) good communication
skills; 6) love of learning, teaching, and study; 7) knowledge of educational practices and curricula; 8) organizational and computer skills; 8) a collegial spirit with staff, leaders, and volunteers.
Specific Responsibilities: The Interim Director of Christian Formation will:
In the Area of Christian Education and Spiritual Formation
- Support a comprehensive vision for Christian education and spiritual formation for children, youth, and adults.
- Resource appropriate teams that have responsibility for the implementation of the education and formation of children, youth, and adults. (Teams are currently in process of being formed in these areas.)
- Direct and administer the nursery program and childcare services.
- Direct and administer the Church School program for all ages, working closely with teachers and volunteers.
- Co-ordinate adult summer forums and create new opportunities for adult formation and education.
In the Area of Congregational Life and Fellowship
- Develop opportunities for congregational fellowship.
- Liaise the Congregational Life Team, and other teams that have responsibility for fellowship, hospitality, and events.
- Maintain with the assistance of clerical staff the Welcome Center and sign-up sheets.
General Responsibilities: The Interim Director of Christian Formation will:
- Communicate in Pine Street publications and on the website information related to these ministries.
- Attend, when necessary, meetings of ministry teams and committees.
- Attend Session meetings, unless excused by the Pastor.
- Attend Staff meetings.
- Maintain regular office hours.
- Follow all church and employee policies as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Be present on Sunday mornings.
Compensation and Evaluation: Session will determine compensation and benefits as recommended by the Personnel Committee of the Session. Depending on the length of employment in the interim position, the Pastor will conduct a performance
review of the Interim Director of Christian Formation and make recommendations to the Personnel Committee concerning continuance of employment, salary, and benefits, and necessary adjustments to the responsibilities of the Interim Director of Christian Formation.
Term of Position: This agreement will remain in effect for a one year period and may be renewed and/or re-negotiated.
Termination of Employment: Either Session or the Interim Director of Christian Formation may terminate the agreement of employment upon thirty days’ written notice.
Contact: The Rev. Dr. Russell C. Sullivan, Jr., Pastor
Pine Street Presbyterian Church
310 N. Third Street
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17101