Middletown United Methodist Church, a suburban congregation in the east end of Louisville, Kentucky is looking for a Director of Music/Worship Ministries. The successful applicant for this position will begin January 2016.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. Middletown UMC is an active congregation with three worship services embracing contemporary, blended and traditional worship styles.
The Director of Music Ministries works with Worship Design Team in the creative planning of worship for all services. S/he is responsible for the management and planning/performance of all music ministry programs while nurturing an atmosphere of serving
God through leading others. The music ministry is to enhance worship, spiritual formation and congregational life. The Director of Music Ministries is to display a deep personal faith and understanding of the meaning, use, and place of music in various styles
of Christian worship. S/he will be an outstanding worship leader offering different styles of music to reach the needs of a diverse congregation and community.
- 1. Worship Leadership / Administration
- Participate with the pastors and music staff in the creative planning of worship for Sunday and all special services, with an emphasis on Biblically-based, thematic worship
- Select and organize all music and other components for the order of worship for all services working closely with Worship Design Team
- Be the staff liaison and supervise the work of the Worship Committee
- Supervise music/worship personnel, both paid and volunteer
- Communicate faithfully with the pastors and staff in the coordination of programming
- Develop and submit an annual worship/music budget to the Finance Committee and supervise approved budget
- 2. Inviting
- Recruit, equip, motivate, supervise, shepherd, and increase the number of music ministry participants
- Actively solicits and motivates participation in the music program, conducting auditions as needed.
- Implements a vision that encompasses ways for the music program to grow and to engage the community beyond the walls of MUMC, striving to integrate with other MUMC outreach programs as possible.
- Participate in the life and ministry of the church so as to grow the church
- 3. Nurturing
- Develop musical teams and ensembles; serve as the primary Director of the Sanctuary Worship Choir and Orchestra
- Leads musical skill development, community building, and spiritual growth within the various choirs and instrumental groups.
- Disciple and encourage all the participants within the music ministry
- 4. Sending
- Direct outreach events into the community via performances at other organizations as appropriate
- Plan, coordinate, and provide leadership for musical mission opportunities
- Authentic relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord
- Bachelor’s Degree in music (Master’s Degree preferred)
- Commitment to the church’s vision and mission
- Ability to be a “team player”
- Effective planning and communication skills
- Excellent relational skills
- Flexibility to develop innovative music programs for special times of the year
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and ProPresenter preferred
- Skill/Ability in a wide range of musical styles
- Ability to train and develop musical ensembles
- Ability to conduct and lead choirs and orchestras
- Ability to lead the congregation in worship and to train others in worship leadership
- Ability to produce and direct special events, musicals, and programs
- Experience with technical aspects of worship (sound boards, multi-media, etc.)
- At least three years of similar experience in a church setting working with children, youth and adults.
- Working with hand bells as a ringer and director.
- Coaching of soloists.
- Leading choral and orchestra groups.
- Experience as a vocalist
Résumés should be submitted to email@example.com by October 20, 2016.