St. James United Methodist Church, Atlanta GA
Director of Children’s Ministry Job Description
“As a Christian community, our mission is to help every person grow in faith that translates belief into action.”
Position: St. James United Methodist Church in Atlanta, Ga is seeking a full-time Director of Children’s Ministry to lead, coordinate, and develop children’s programs. Responsibilities include coordinating ministries relating to infants
(aged 0-3) and children (4 years-6th grade), managing nursery employees, supervising family ministry intern(s), working collaboratively with clergy, staff and lay committees, and overseeing a weekly volunteer staff of about 15.
The vision of our children’s ministries is to build a safe, supportive, and inspiring environment with a continuity of programming that supports the spiritual growth of children at St. James UMC on their journey to know and experience God. We are particularly
seeking someone to work with the Associate Pastor and the Children’s Ministry Team to help expand the program. This position offers continuing professional development opportunities with growth potential
(attending seminars and workshops on children’s ministry, envisioning and implementing new programs, activities, and curriculum).
The Director of Children’s Ministry works closely with and reports directly to the Associate Pastor.
- Growing, developing, and implementing the vision of our children’s ministry
- Planning and coordinating children’s ministry activities and programs
- Regularly communicating children’s ministry events and activities to families and the congregation
- Recruiting and training Sunday School teachers, as well as organizing the schedule and overseeing the curriculum.
- Assisting in planning and implementing special events, such as camps, Vacation Bible School, movie nights, skate parties, and other special events.
- Developing Worship Readiness (1st and 2nd grade), Cross Kids (3rd and 4th grade), the God Squad (5th and 6th grade), Bible Challenge (K-6th grade), and other program ministries
- Recruiting and connecting volunteers to areas of children’s ministries that fit their individual passion and giftedness
- Recruiting laity as needed
- Welcoming and integrating new families and members into the life of the church
- Communicating and collaborating with the Director of the St. James Preschool
- Committment to the values and vision of St. James United Methodist Church
- Background or experience in children’s education and children’s ministry
- A broad and inclusive thinker who is open minded, creative, and inquisitive
- Ability to recognize and value each child's unique personality and stage of development
- Ability to encourage the children and families of St. James to explore their faith by supporting and validating their curiosity
- Ability to provide spiritual leadership to parents and children
- Ability to work with church staff and volunteers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, especially with and regarding children
- Theological background preferred, ideally with an awareness of the historical and comparative dimensions of religion.
- Understanding of social media and the use of Facebook, Twitter, and the church’s website
The salary is commensurate with experience and includes health care benefits. The church will reimburse
Verified Professional Mileage and other business expenses according to policy.