The Director of Music is responsible for all policies and actions of the Kettering Baptist Church Music Department. He/She will provide recommendations for staff, new programs, and spiritual activities to the Sr. Pastor for approval. The Director of Music ensures that all music for the Music Department is derived from songs and praises from the Scripture of the Holy Bible and other religious materials. All music programs of the church must adhere to the doctrine of Kettering Baptist Church. The Director of Music must be in agreement with the doctrine of Kettering Baptist Church and must serve the entire church, its organizations, and activities. In addition, he/she must be able to work in close harmony with the Senior Pastor, other church leaders, and the entire membership in developing a music ministry that will magnify God in worship, strengthen religious education, promote evangelism and spiritual blessings, and genuine fellowship.
Knowledge: musical theory and forms; genres of music; Christian/Gospel music
Skills: perform with physical and technical ease; conceptualize and transfer musical ideas to others; creative application of musical knowledge; management; personnel development
Ability: read music; work independently and solve problems; work comfortably individually and with others; budgeting
The Director of Music will:
- Direct, plan, and establish a comprehensive music program. Supervise the work assigned to music ministry volunteers and paid staff musicians. Responsible for in-person (physical presence) oversight and direction of overall musical worship experience to include worship leaders, musicians, choirs, etc. Ensure that all worship experiences are covered with competent musical staff and choral volunteers.
- Be present, play, and function in harmony with choirs for all worship services for all regular Sunday services and as needed for musician absences. In addition, the Director of Music is to be present, oversee, and observe musicians and choirs of additional services as determined by his/her supervisor.
- Coordinate, play, and/or provide music and rehearsals for all Kettering Baptist Church choirs and services (home or away), to include but not limited to: funerals, revivals, and related activities upon request. The Director of Music is the primary musician for external engagements.
4. Provide training, scheduling, and organization for the choirs.
- Lead the effort to fill vacant positions on the Music Ministry staff, including but not limited to: recruiting; interviewing; making recommendations for hire to his/her supervisor (Senior Pastor); and making the final hiring decision in concert with the Senior Pastor. This responsibility includes advising the Operations and Administration Officer of areas where Human Resources support is needed.
- Oversee and ensure the adherence to the Music Ministry budget; working with the Stewardship Ministry, his/her supervisor, and the Operations and Administration Officer as needed.
- Encourage congregational singing in organizational assemblies and cultivate an appreciation for various musical genres through playing and sharing them.
- Function as a servant leader for all members of the Music Ministry; loving and caring for them in Christian love.
- Attend all Church Council meetings.
- Provide activities for the annual calendar of events as well as maintain an awareness of the entire church calendar.
- Maintain music library, material supplies, musical instruments and other equipment in space provided by the Trustees.
- Remain current in music methods, styles, and materials.
- Notify the Trustee Ministry when equipment needs servicing and/or replacement; coordinate the related activities to ensure it is accomplished; provide recommendations of service providers as needed.
The Director of Music must be called to the Ministry of Music by God and must (be):
— A born again Christian with a character that is above reproach.
— Well trained in teaching voices and keyboard instruments and have a broad knowledge of religious music.
— A servant leader who loves God and God’s people as He does in demonstration.
— A team builder.
— A demonstrated self-starter who is organized, flexible, goal-oriented, and possess a solid work ethic.
— Able to portray feelings and emotions through music so that it awakens a response in the listeners.
— Able to work in spiritual harmony with other saints.
— Trained in the field of music and religious music.
— Possess the ability to amicably relate to those with whom and for whom he/she is working.
— Committed to God and the music programs of the church.
— Possess excellent communication and leadership/management skills.
A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience as a professional church musician is required.
An undergraduate or graduate degree in Music or a related major is preferred.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Indy North Campus Worship PastorNorthview Church
- Indianapolis, Indiana
- October 26
Worship CoordinatorWaushara Community Church
- Wautoma, Wisconsin
- October 25
Music Director / Worship LeaderNorthside Christian Church
- Fresno, California
- October 24
Director of Worship ArtsCalvary Community Church
- Manteca, California
- October 24
Lighting DirectorParkview Christian Church
- Orland Park, Illinois
- October 24
Kettering Baptist Church
We are a church that is actively involved in the fulfillment of the Great Commission, making disciples who make a difference. We are committed to being the W.I.F.E. of Christ by ministering in the Spirit of excellence through Worship, Instruction, Fellowship, and Evangelism. More...