THE VILLAGE CHURCH OF BARRINGTON
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY LIFE
A. Philosophy and Essentials of Ministry
At Village Church of Barrington, we strongly believe that God has placed every true believer in Jesus Christ into a community of mutual concern called “the Church” (1 Cor. 12:24-27), has given each individual believer specific spiritual gifts in order to
build up His people and accomplish His Kingdom purposes (1 Cor. 12:7) and calls every believer to regularly meet together for the purpose of mutual edification and encouragement in the faith (Heb. 10:24-25; Eph. 4:11-16). For this reason, the Village Church
of Barrington Director of Community Life will oversee those aspects of ministry that initiate, develop, and expand Christian community.
B. General Responsibilities
The DCL will be primarily responsible for planning, organizing, staffing, and directing all programming relating to Home Small Groups, Compassion/Care Ministry, Connections Ministry, Local Missions (Village In Action), and Evangelism. Because the
primary work of shepherding ministry is equipping others to do the work of ministry (Eph. 4:11-14), this position requires recruiting, training and utilizing lay leadership to carry out these various objectives.
C. Staff Relationships
The DCL shall be called by the Senior Pastor and affirming vote of the Church Elder Board. VCB places high value on a collaborative workplace, and this individual must work well within the current team environment.
- Regular attendance and active participation at all staff meetings.
- Effective Communication, both written and verbal, in a variety of settings.
- Non-voting participant at the church board meetings when attendance is requested.
- Accountable to the Associate Senior Pastor.
1 Small Group Ministry – The Director of Community will oversee the Small Group Ministry of Village Church. This responsibility includes:
- Shepherd Meetings: Planning a January & August meeting for all Group Shepherds and elders for the purpose of vision casting, equipping, fostering relationships with other leaders, and relaying information for the coming semester
- Equipping Classes: Planning classes in conjunction with the equipping center to train leaders on the practical tools for shepherding the members of their groups.
- Shelby: Maintain accurate information regarding group members and attendance.
- Group Placement: Ensuring the timely placement of interested attenders into a small group.
- Training New Leaders: Work with current group Shepherds to identify, train, and commission new shepherds to form new groups.
2 Compassion & Care Ministry - The Director of Community will oversee the Compassion & Care Ministry of Village Church. This responsibility includes:
- Care Team – Support and inform the care team of any known needs among the church body for follow-up. Identify areas of possible improved communication and care.
- Visitation – Make visitations for prayer and encouragement as needed.
- Funerals – Coordinate with the Care Team regarding funeral arrangements, luncheons, or any other needs.
- Benevolence – Work with the Benevolence Team to approve financial assistance as needed.
- Stephen Ministry – Work with the Stephen’s Ministry Leaders as needed.
3 Connections Ministry - The Director of Community will oversee the Connections Ministry of Village Church. This responsibility includes:
- Visitor Follow-up – Ensure Welcome Bags are prepared and available after services for first-time guests. Ensure prompt follow-up for weekend visitors including sending welcome letters, and making phone calls or sending emails as needed.
- Greeter Ministry – Oversee the recruiting, training, and scheduling of greeters for weekend services, and special services as needed.
- Hospitality Ministry – Oversee the recruiting, training, and scheduling of weekend hospitality for all weekend services (set-up, tear-down, donut delivery), and special services as needed.
- New Comers – Create opportunities for New Comers to better know the leadership and community of Village Church. This includes following up on information requests, as well as planning, communicating, and attending the regularly scheduled
New Comer Dinner.
- Membership – Plan, communicate, and execute the Membership Matters Class as needed. Walk people through the membership process as needed.
- Retention – Identify and communicate with members/attenders who may be pulling away. Encourage and dialogue over any potential issues, informing Senior or Associate Senior pastor as needed.
- All Church Events – Plan, communicate, and execute events to help foster relationships among the members and attenders of VCB – such events include the Summer Pig Roast.
4 Local Missions (Village in Action) and Evangelism - The Director of Community will oversee the local outreach efforts of Village Church. This responsibility includes:
- Village In Action– Shepherd the Village In Action lay Leadership team as they identify and work with VCB members and local partner ministries to carry out Kingdom work in the surrounding community.
- Spiritual Gifts – Plan, communicate, and execute events to help individuals discover and use their Spiritual gifts.
- Evangelism – Equip, mobilize & support existing VCB ministries to intentionally present the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Clear, articulate faith in Christ.
- Meet the spiritual qualifications of a Deacon.
- Strong knowledge of the Bible and the ability to teach others.
- Spiritual gifts of Shepherding (administration, mercy, evangelism, and/or teaching) desired.
- A bachelor’s degree is required. A Master’s degree from a Christian college/ Seminary is preferred.
- Experience coordinating Home Small Groups.
- Experience developing training materials (desired).
F. Additional Considerations
- A work week of approximately 50-55 hours shall be established for this position, including the hours required on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Compensatory time for short term deviations from normal work hours may be taken at the Associate Senior or Senior Pastors’ discretion. All such adjustments should be arranged with the Associate Senior Pastor.
- The church will provide work space appropriate to the job, with necessary office equipment. Normal expenses for materials and travel will be reimbursed from Pastoral Expenses, as approved by the Associate Senior Pastor. Administrative staff assistance
is provided as necessary.
- Attendance at Free Church conferences and other professional meetings can be paid for from the Conference Expense budget with approval from the Associate Senior Pastor.